W1NRG Forum

Full Version: Any members interested in HF AM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To all:
Just wondering if any of the membership operates HF AM?
I might me interested in building a small AM station @ Radio Ansonia
No heavy iron, just small AM/CW transmitters from the 1950-1970's

Reply here or to my home email w1ctn@yahoo.com

Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia
203-735-9725
(12-16-2014, 03:17 PM)W1CTN Wrote: [ -> ]To all:
Just wondering if any of the membership operates HF AM?
I might me interested in building a small AM station @ Radio Ansonia
No heavy iron, just small AM/CW transmitters from the 1950-1970's

Reply here or to my home email w1ctn@yahoo.com

Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia
203-735-9725

Not that I operate it often but the 1000 MP does have an AM transmitter which I sometime use up in the 29.000 area, especially for the 10-10 Spirit of 76 QSO Party where they encourage you to work every station on SSB, CW, PSK, RTTY, FM and AM.

Al
Wow what timing! I have been interested in AM Mode since I started HF.

I have made a bunch of contacts on 10M, mostly Saturday mornings to Europe (The Italians seem to like 10M AM). I am especially interested in how they rig the Equalizers or maybe Speech Processors to get that true quality Studio sound.

Still don't know how that's done (Broadcast Quality Sound) but I regularly listen to the AM Ragchews on 40M & 80M to get some insight.

I'm in Dave. Would love to learn more.
(12-16-2014, 07:39 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: [ -> ]Wow what timing! I have been interested in AM Mode since I started HF.

I have made a bunch of contacts on 10M, mostly Saturday mornings to Europe (The Italians seem to like 10M AM). I am especially interested in how they rig the Equalizers or maybe Speech Processors to get that true quality Studio sound.

Still don't know how that's done (Broadcast Quality Sound) but I regularly listen to the AM Ragchews on 40M & 80M to get some insight.

I'm in Dave. Would love to learn more.
They build true Class A transmitters which is broadcast quality. Some retrofit AM broadcast transmitters salvaged from stations that either go off the are or are buying newer Stereo AM equipment. Not an easy task when you figure that to drive a true A class tube transmitter your tube modulator has to be half the power of your transmitter. So if you have a 100 Watt transmitter you need a 50 watt modulator deck. For a 1 K transmitter you need a 500 watt modulator. Sort of explains why tube type AM equipment is so big and heavy with those transformers.

There used to be an AM Station Engineer in Maine who used to put his transmitter's daytime station on 160 meters at night and use an older AM receiver on another antenna.

Al
I wonder if WPOP still has Transmitter gear inside that shack....