W1NRG Forum

Full Version: Well - Despite Being A "Dead" OS XP Is Still Being Updated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I was surprised to see that Windows XP did an automatic update today. Checking the updates I find the security setting are still being updated once a month. Asking around on the 10-10 reflectors users say that it is because the US Government still has many computer running XP that they are not ready to update yet.

Al - N1API
I think the updates are only to security issues. Still not a bad thing that MS is doing this. Not sure but I think this ends this year....or until someone in the government forces MS to change their policy (again).

Steve - KC1AXJ
I actually found this by accident. I was running the Window 7 drive and switched over to XP and got the message the the computer was updated. Found that two of my programs WILL NOT run under Windows 7. And thinking back now I think that this was the reason that I put them there in the first place. My "big" desktop bit the dust and I had to have Window 7 installed. The two programs will only work under XP because they need the DOS shell OS, (As they say "Shell to DOS - Shell to DOS, OVER"). Now with this computer going to window 7 I face loosing them again. One I use occasionally, my Satellite tracing program. The other I use regularly and that is my FIDO mail program, TERMAIL. Trying to figure where to go next!

Al

(04-15-2015, 08:53 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: [ -> ]I think the updates are only to security issues. Still not a bad thing that MS is doing this. Not sure but I think this ends this year....or until someone in the government forces MS to change their policy (again).

Steve - KC1AXJ
(04-16-2015, 03:30 PM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]I actually found this by accident. I was running the Window 7 drive and switched over to XP and got the message the the computer was updated. Found that two of my programs WILL NOT run under Windows 7. And thinking back now I think that this was the reason that I put them there in the first place. My "big" desktop bit the dust and I had to have Window 7 installed. The two programs will only work under XP because they need the DOS shell OS, (As they say "Shell to DOS - Shell to DOS, OVER"). Now with this computer going to window 7 I face loosing them again. One I use occasionally, my Satellite tracing program. The other I use regularly and that is my FIDO mail program, TERMAIL. Trying to figure where to go next!

Al

(04-15-2015, 08:53 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: [ -> ]I think the updates are only to security issues. Still not a bad thing that MS is doing this. Not sure but I think this ends this year....or until someone in the government forces MS to change their policy (again).

Steve - KC1AXJ

Just for everyone's interest, you can run the Window XP mode virtural machine with Windows 7 and 8. You should be able to run any XP program that worked in XP in that "virtual mode".

I have used it myself to run some stuff that would only run in XP. Although it's not generally known, there is also an "XP Mode" virtual OS available in Win 8.1.

Al, have you tried to run those program using Windows "Compatibility Mode"? (not the virtual machine but by editing the executable's property) Right click on the program's executable, select "Properties" and drill to the "Compatibility" tab. There you will find selections for every Windows OS from 95 to 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8 etc.

I'd first install the program new, as an Admin and see if that installer will run in Windows Compatibility mode. Then after it's been installed, follow above directions and see if the newly installed program executalbe will run in "compatibilty mode".

Here's a link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...-windows-7

Notice the first paragraph about MS dropping support for it. It will still work though if you take proper security precautions.
73, Rich WA1TRY
(04-16-2015, 04:35 PM)WA1TRY Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2015, 03:30 PM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]I actually found this by accident. I was running the Window 7 drive and switched over to XP and got the message the the computer was updated. Found that two of my programs WILL NOT run under Windows 7. And thinking back now I think that this was the reason that I put them there in the first place. My "big" desktop bit the dust and I had to have Window 7 installed. The two programs will only work under XP because they need the DOS shell OS, (As they say "Shell to DOS - Shell to DOS, OVER"). Now with this computer going to window 7 I face loosing them again. One I use occasionally, my Satellite tracing program. The other I use regularly and that is my FIDO mail program, TERMAIL. Trying to figure where to go next!

Al

Steve - KC1AXJ

Just for everyone's interest, you can run the Window XP mode virtural machine with Windows 7 and 8. You should be able to run any XP program that worked in XP in that "virtual mode".

I have used it myself to run some stuff that would only run in XP. Although it's not generally known, there is also an "XP Mode" virtual OS available in Win 8.1.

Al, have you tried to run those program using Windows "Compatibility Mode"? (not the virtual machine but by editing the executable's property) Right click on the program's executable, select "Properties" and drill to the "Compatibility" tab. There you will find selections for every Windows OS from 95 to 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8 etc.

I'd first install the program new, as an Admin and see if that installer will run in Windows Compatibility mode. Then after it's been installed, follow above directions and see if the newly installed program executalbe will run in "compatibilty mode".

Notice the first paragraph about MS dropping support for it. It will still work though if you take proper security precautions.
73, Rich WA1TRY
The Satellite Program does not have an install. Old DOS program you just copy the files into a directory grab the .exe and run. The author passed away in 2005. Yea I know old program but it worked great. Tracked multiple satellites at once.

The other program does something similar. Puts a icon on the desktop and runs off a DOS window. No DOS OS No program.

I've asked about the mail program but have not had any good answers. There is a program called GOLDED but there are no .exe program just a bunch of binary's and very little documentation. The fellow that runs my "boss node", where I get my mail was going to help me but all the documentation is in RUSSIAN! Anyone confused on what I am talking about when I talk about the FIDO net work you can read about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet Here is the archive page on the Satellite program http://celestrak.com/software/dransom/stsplus.html

Al
(04-16-2015, 08:20 PM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2015, 04:35 PM)WA1TRY Wrote: [ -> ]

Al

Steve - KC1AXJ

73, Rich WA1TRY
The Satellite Program does not have an install. Old DOS program you just copy the files into a directory grab the .exe and run. The author passed away in 2005. Yea I know old program but it worked great. Tracked multiple satellites at once.

The other program does something similar. Puts a icon on the desktop and runs off a DOS window. No DOS OS No program.

I've asked about the mail program but have not had any good answers. There is a program called GOLDED but there are no .exe program just a bunch of binary's and very little documentation. The fellow that runs my "boss node", where I get my mail was going to help me but all the documentation is in RUSSIAN! Anyone confused on what I am talking about when I talk about the FIDO net work you can read about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet Here is the archive page on the Satellite program http://celestrak.com/software/dransom/stsplus.html

Al

My answer is the same .. In windows 7 using it's virtual XP mode ... you are USING XP .. However you ran it on the old XP system will work just like it did in an actual XP system.

Send me a copy of the program and I'll see if it will run on my PC (which by the way is running Windows 8.1) It's not generally known but I hear you can even run Windows XP Mode in Win 8. I only used it in Win 7 so it will be interesting to see.

73, Rich