W1NRG Forum

Full Version: Question From New Southington Ham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I received the below query from a Southington ham who just got his license and is in the process of joining MARC.

His name is Bob and call is KC1GLM.

He is asking about programing the Boafang radio with Chirp Software and also how to build a J-Pole antenna. I've given him what information I know about chirp but don't have any experience with the Boafang radios. I've also sent him some links on building a J-Pole antenna.

I'm sure there are at least one or two who may be able to help him a little more than I can in these areas.

I'm sure he would appreciate a call or email to bsteers225 (at) gmail.com

His message is below:

Hi Guys,
Congrats on your very good website, the best of all the ham clubs I have seen !
My application for membership is in the regular mail with my check.
I just received my new call sign a few days ago and I am having great difficulty
programing my UV-5R Boafang radio. I am having issues both manually trying to log repeater freq s in and automated input with CHIRP software ?
I am also interested in making a 70 Cm J pol antenna. Any assistance would be appreciate, I am dead in the water and can not transmit now. 203.623.9867 Bob
(10-19-2016, 11:48 AM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]
I received the below query from a Southington ham who just got his license and is in the process of joining MARC.

JUst sent off an email to him.. I have two of these radios and use CHirp with them.. should be able to him running.

He is asking about programing the Boafang radio with Chirp Software and also how to build a J-Pole antenna. I've given him what information I know about chirp but don't have any experience with the Boafang radios. I've also sent him some links on building a J-Pole antenna.

I'm sure there are at least one or two who may be able to help him a little more than I can in these areas.

His message is below:

Hi Guys,
I just received my new call sign a few days ago and I am having great difficulty
programing my UV-5R Boafang radio. I am having issues both manually trying to log repeater freq s in and automated input with CHIRP software ?
I am also interested in making a 70 Cm J pol antenna. Any assistance would be appreciate, I am dead in the water and can not transmit now. 203.623.9867 Bob
Great, encourage him to check into the Forum where he can ask for help when he needs it.

Thanks

Al

(10-19-2016, 08:32 PM)KC1SA Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-19-2016, 11:48 AM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]

JUst sent off an email to him.. I have two of these radios and use CHirp with them.. should be able to him running.

His message is below:

Hi Guys,
Bob, I use Chirp for my Baofeng HT's too. I can help with getting yours programmed.
I also built an aluminum J-Pole which has been in-use at my Home QTH since I got my license on 2013. 1.2:1 SWR and hits almost all of the repeaters in our small state.

It is a 2M/440 solid aluminum J-Pole on a 10' mast lashed to my patio fence post. I got the plans here: J-Pole.

My email is K1RCT at arrl dot net.
I am the Station Manager for our Club and am at most meetings. Post here, email me or come to a meeting and we can set up a sked.