Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DX Watch, DX Maps
Q1) Can someone explain how these propagation maps get updated?

Q2) I can see the DX Maps has a Spotter field which can be filled in if you are a registered member. Is this the only method or is it updated otherwise?

Q3) I see on DX Watch that [LoTW] is referenced frequently when QSO's are listed. Does logging software somehow update this database?

Q4) How often do you upload your Log File to LoTW if you use that?
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

(08-04-2014, 09:33 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: Q1) Can someone explain how these propagation maps get updated?

Q2) I can see the DX Maps has a Spotter field which can be filled in if you are a registered member. Is this the only method or is it updated otherwise?

Q3) I see on DX Watch that [LoTW] is referenced frequently when QSO's are listed. Does logging software somehow update this database?

Q4) How often do you upload your Log File to LoTW if you use that?

I'm not sure on question 2 and 3. I know that with the DX Cluster software that I use RXCLUS (webpage is http://www.hb9bza.net ), which can run real time in a window on your desktop if you see a station spotted there is an L after the spot to show that he uses LBOTW. I am not sure how that information is gathered but you can update these databases. The advantage of running a software like RXCLUS is that you do not have to be on a webpage to see spots. They are sent to your desktop by connecting to one of the (hundreds) of DX Clusters running real time. You can also put spots up on the cluster as you work or see them and when you are running a contest program like N1MM, (and others), you can have real time spots in the program and spot stations as you work them with just a key stroke, (ALT-P for N1MM). Of course if you use the spotting service during the contest you are placed in the ASSISTED or sometime MULTI category rather than individual. I prefer the cluster program over visiting a web page as I can leave the program running full time and still see spots and band openings from all over.

I do suspect that the propagation maps are updated with the latest solar information off of the SOHO, (Solar and Heliospheric Observatory), page http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/home.html which is all part of the work that NASA does. This is how Solar Ham.com gets all their information along with other sites run by individuals.

As far as LBOTW I upload my logs usually daily if I make contacts out side of county hunting. For contesting they are uploaded as soon as I can after the contest. I upload to both LBOTW and Club Log.

Probably not all the information you were looking for but I hope some.

Al
Thanks for that Al, it helped.

I've been using N1MM manually, just got the CAT cable today AND the new Windom. That CAT cable sure makes it easier to log and tune up.

Made 24 contacts today from Belgium to New Zealand, what a blast!

Actually made the Belgian contact with the Buddistick, all others with the Windom.

Russia, Italy, Lebanon and of course, thru the US.

20 Meters was and is open day and night. Still making contacts....
Can anyone bring me some coffee (hi-hi)?? Big Grin
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Good to hear you have the Windom up. Sounds like everything is working as it should. Enjoy.
'73 Jim N1ZN
(08-04-2014, 11:41 AM)N1API Wrote: I'm not sure on question 2 and 3. I know that with the DX Cluster software that I use RXCLUS (webpage is http://www.hb9bza.net ), which can run real time in a window on your desktop if you see a station spotted there is an L after the spot to show that he uses LBOTW. I am not sure how that information is gathered but you can update these databases. The advantage of running a software like RXCLUS is that you do not have to be on a webpage to see spots. They are sent to your desktop by connecting to one of the (hundreds) of DX Clusters running real time. You can also put spots up on the cluster as you work or see them and when you are running a contest program like N1MM, (and others), you can have real time spots in the program and spot stations as you work them with just a key stroke, (ALT-P for N1MM). .... clipped
Al

OK Al, since you use RXCLUS, can you direct me to a help file or page? I want to create a database for RXCLUS to alert me when a needed DX appears on a telnet.
Not too much help available that I've found. Can you help?
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

(01-03-2015, 07:26 PM)KC1ACN Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 11:41 AM)N1API Wrote: I'm not sure on question 2 and 3. I know that with the DX Cluster software that I use RXCLUS (webpage is http://www.hb9bza.net ), which can run real time in a window on your desktop if you see a station spotted there is an L after the spot to show that he uses LBOTW. I am not sure how that information is gathered but you can update these databases. The advantage of running a software like RXCLUS is that you do not have to be on a webpage to see spots. They are sent to your desktop by connecting to one of the (hundreds) of DX Clusters running real time. You can also put spots up on the cluster as you work or see them and when you are running a contest program like N1MM, (and others), you can have real time spots in the program and spot stations as you work them with just a key stroke, (ALT-P for N1MM). .... clipped
Al

OK Al, since you use RXCLUS, can you direct me to a help file or page? I want to create a database for RXCLUS to alert me when a needed DX appears on a telnet.
Not too much help available that I've found. Can you help?

Well unfortunately there is not a "help file" or page that was made for this program. I think, what you are looking for under the DXCC tab you can upload or enter your countries that you need and the bands and modes that you would like to work them on and set "alarms" that will notify you when the country is spotted. You'll just have to play around with it and see if you can configure it as you want it.

Good luck, sorry I could not be more help with this. Perhaps once you get it going to the way you need it, you could do a KK article so that others may take advantage of it's DXCC tracking.

Al