Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CQ WPX SSB Contest This Weekend
This is the weekend the CW WPX SSB contest work everyone everywhere.
Full details and rules available at: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_conte..._rules.pdf

Al - N1API

Here are the results for my contest effort this weekend. This one deserves a story and an explanation.

First the results:

START-OF-LOG: 3.0
CALLSIGN: N1API
CLUB: Meriden ARC
CONTEST: CQ-WPX-SSB
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: SINGLE-OP
CATEGORY-ASSISTED: ASSISTED
CATEGORY-BAND: ALL
CATEGORY-MODE: SSB
CATEGORY-POWER: LOW
CATEGORY-STATION: FIXED
CATEGORY-TRANSMITTER: ONE
CATEGORY-OVERLAY: TB-WIRES
CLAIMED-SCORE: 1179000
OPERATORS: N1API
NAME: Al
ADDRESS:
ADDRESS-CITY: Meriden
ADDRESS-STATE-PROVINCE: CT
ADDRESS-POSTALCODE:
ADDRESS-COUNTRY: United States

Individual Band Results are as follows:

Band ----- QSOs ----- WPX
14 --------- 107 -------- 104
21 --------- 173 -------- 170
28 --------- 395 -------- 381
Totals ------ 675 ------- 655
Score 1,179,000

Now the story. First of all the bands were smokin hot JAs were 59 and a bunch both nights on 10. 15 wasn't so hot to JA Saturday night but I may have missed the opening. Tonight though the JAs were smoking on 15 and 10. And at the same time the South Americans were banging in too along with Europe at the end of the contest. I was hearing loud EU stations on 10 meters up until well past dark both nights. Lots of good stuff coming out of Asia and the Pacific some I worked some I didn't. Saturday all of a sudden 15 meters got very noisy, (band noise). I look up at the map and we were having a flare. We had an X1.0 flare and 10 and 15 meters flopped, (right in the middle of one of my QSOs). But it recovered quickly. 20 meters was strange during the day. Very noisy and very little DX. Some very strong stations but not many.

OK now the score. If you look at the total contacts you see 675, and look at the WPX you see 655, those are ALL the prefixes I worked and they are multipliers. I started out Saturday evening on 10 meters working JAs and doing my usual thing of skipping over the non multis to get the most bang for my buck I worked a total of 47 contacts and stopped.

Saturday I started up on 10 meters and again started working the multipliers because there were a ton of them. Somewhere along the way I got a brainstorm, ( Huh really )? I wondered what would happen if I just went for the multipliers? I also wondered how far I could go before I "ran out"? Well I worked almost the whole contest with the exception of 20 contacts all multipliers. The non-mulits came early in the contest with the exception of one local who called Saturday and gave me a contact I was not expecting. It got a little slow the last few hours but I still was picking them up. I worked my last contact at 29:59:53.

I'm waiting to see how my log compares with those with about the same amount of contacts and also where my score falls with others and how many contacts and multis it took to get them there.

I usually try something different each contest most of the time I make it up on the spot. The name of the this game is Prefixes for this contest. That's the way I played this game.

Anyone else play this weekend? How did you do?

-73-

Al - N1API
Hey Al,

I enjoyed hearing about your strategy working only multipliers. I got on the radio and made about 10 contacts on Saturday. We had a lot of other stuff going on this weekend, but I enjoyed hearing all of the stations on the 10m band. There were so many stations that it gave me some practice using my dsp filters on the radio.

What did you use to generate your log?

Also, when do you think we'll be able to get the club station setup so we can compete in contests as a club? As a new club member, I'd like to learn more about contesting from the more experienced members.

Joe

(03-30-2014, 10:40 PM)N1API Wrote:
Here are the results for my contest effort this weekend. This one deserves a story and an explanation.

First the results:

ADDRESS:
ADDRESS-POSTALCODE:

Score 1,179,000

Now the story. First of all the bands were smokin hot JAs were 59 and a bunch both nights on 10. 15 wasn't so hot to JA Saturday night but I may have missed the opening. Tonight though the JAs were smoking on 15 and 10. And at the same time the South Americans were banging in too along with Europe at the end of the contest. I was hearing loud EU stations on 10 meters up until well past dark both nights. Lots of good stuff coming out of Asia and the Pacific some I worked some I didn't. Saturday all of a sudden 15 meters got very noisy, (band noise). I look up at the map and we were having a flare. We had an X1.0 flare and 10 and 15 meters flopped, (right in the middle of one of my QSOs). But it recovered quickly. 20 meters was strange during the day. Very noisy and very little DX. Some very strong stations but not many.

OK now the score. If you look at the total contacts you see 675, and look at the WPX you see 655, those are ALL the prefixes I worked and they are multipliers. I started out Saturday evening on 10 meters working JAs and doing my usual thing of skipping over the non multis to get the most bang for my buck I worked a total of 47 contacts and stopped.

Saturday I started up on 10 meters and again started working the multipliers because there were a ton of them. Somewhere along the way I got a brainstorm, ( Huh really )? I wondered what would happen if I just went for the multipliers? I also wondered how far I could go before I "ran out"? Well I worked almost the whole contest with the exception of 20 contacts all multipliers. The non-mulits came early in the contest with the exception of one local who called Saturday and gave me a contact I was not expecting. It got a little slow the last few hours but I still was picking them up. I worked my last contact at 29:59:53.

I'm waiting to see how my log compares with those with about the same amount of contacts and also where my score falls with others and how many contacts and multis it took to get them there.

I usually try something different each contest most of the time I make it up on the spot. The name of the this game is Prefixes for this contest. That's the way I played this game.

-73-
There are a ton of contest programs out there and if you want to do general logging there a some that will do that and contest too. Paul K1SEZ can advise you on the one he uses. I've seen his setup for logging and it is quite impressive.

But just for general contesting for all the major contests and many of the smaller QSO parties, sprints and such I use N1MM and it works quite well. It interfaces with both of my radio's, (through the RIGblasters), and the Master Callsign Database, Country and Section files and program it's self are always being updated and you can download them from the various web pages. N1MM does the phone contests, (I believe there is a option for sound files to call CQ and give reports but I have not played with that part,), CW and also interfaces with a couple of RTTY programs for the RTTY contests. It may do other digital contests like Hell, (contest not place Big Grin ), and PSK but I think that for those you need to use another program for the Digital and you log to N1MM so you have to be good at using two programs or computers at once. (Like the 10-10 digital or CW QSO Parties). N1MM is no the only program out there but it's FREE. And you know what they say about hams, they will buy a $10,000 radio but won't pay 20 bucks for a software program ... hi.

I can't give you any information on the club station. This is all up to the "powers to be" when they decide on the layout of the building and when any work it going to be done. You'll just have to keep listening to any announcements made at the meetings.

-73- Al

(03-31-2014, 11:48 AM)KC1BAQ Wrote: Hey Al,

I enjoyed hearing about your strategy working only multipliers. I got on the radio and made about 10 contacts on Saturday. We had a lot of other stuff going on this weekend, but I enjoyed hearing all of the stations on the 10m band. There were so many stations that it gave me some practice using my dsp filters on the radio.

What did you use to generate your log?

Also, when do you think we'll be able to get the club station setup so we can compete in contests as a club? As a new club member, I'd like to learn more about contesting from the more experienced members.

Joe

(03-30-2014, 10:40 PM)N1API Wrote:

First the results:

ADDRESS:
ADDRESS-POSTALCODE:

Score 1,179,000

-73-

Al - N1API
I use N1MM Logger for contests. It is strictly a contest logging program and works well. Very popular.

As for general logging I use Ham Radio Deluxe. I have a free version but I believe they started charging for it. Don't know if you can download the free version. Very good program and it does a lot. Much of what I don't use at present.

Both interface with you radio which is a nice feature.

Jim N1ZN

Worked the contest. Wasn't really trying to set any personal records.

CALLSIGN: N1ZN
CATEGORY-ASSISTED: NON-ASSISTED
CLAIMED-SCORE: 72384