Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Latest news: - - - -

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Day 2014
(06-25-2014, 03:43 PM)N1ZN Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 10:30 PM)W1KKF Wrote: Has anyone checked the rules in regard to the GOTA station operators?
specifically, can an operator make GOTA contacts and SSB tent contacts? I think it's not allowed. Has anyone read the rules?
73, Bill, W1KKF

The rules don't specifically address this. However there is a rule that states:
6.1 A person may not contact for QSO credit any station from which they also participate.

Plus the fact that the GOTA station may need a control op depending on who is operating and that person may be operation in one of the tents.

So probably best not to make contacts with the tents.

Here is the section on GOTA

4.1.1. Get-On-The-Air (GOTA) Station. Any Class A (or F) entry whose transmitter classification is two or more transmitters may also operate one additional station without changing its base entry category, known as the GET-ON-THE-AIR (GOTA) station. This GOTA station may operate on any Field Day band, HF or VHF, but is limited to one GOTA station transmitted signal at any time.

4.1.1.1. This station must use a different callsign from the primary Field Day station. The GOTA station must use the same callsign for the duration of the event regardless if operators change. The GOTA station uses the same exchange as its parent.

4.1.1.2. The GOTA station may be operated by any person licensed since the previous year’s Field Day, regardless of license class. It may also be operated by a generally inactive licensee. Non-licensed persons may participate under the direct supervision of an appropriate control operator. A list of operators and participants must be included on the required summary sheet to ARRL HQ.

4.1.1.3. As per FCC rules, this station must have a valid control operator present at the control point if operating beyond the license privileges of the participant using the station.

4.1.1.4. The maximum transmitter output power for the GOTA station shall be 150 watts. If the primary Field Day group is claiming the QRP multiplier level of 5, the maximum transmitter output power of the GOTA station may not exceed 5 watts.

4.1.1.5. A maximum of 500 QSOs made by this station may be claimed for credit by its primary Field Day operation. In addition, bonus points may be earned by this station under rule 7.3.13.

4.1.1.6. The GOTA station may operate on any Field Day band. Only one transmitted signal is allowed from the GOTA station at any time.

4.1.1.7. The GOTA station does not affect the additional VHF/UHF station provided for under Field Day Rule 4.1.2. for Class A stations.

4.1.1.8. Participants are reminded that non-licensed participants working under the direction of a valid control operator may only communicate with other W/VE stations or with stations in countries with which the US has entered a third-party agreement.

4.1.1.9. The GOTA station does not qualify as an additional transmitter when determining the number of transmitters eligible for the 100-point emergency power bonus under Rule 7.3.1.

_:_ END _:_

Now if you are asking if a GOTA operator can also operate the HF, VHF or CW station that is also not stated.

Al - N1API
I did further checking and it is OK for someone to operate both GOTA and the SSB tent. The main concern is that he/she qualify for the GOTA requirements.

I looked for aluminum poles to hold up dinning flys today at Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods and at Mickey Finns to no avail. I guess we will have to order them from CampMor for next year.
73, Bill, W1KKF
(06-26-2014, 12:14 AM)W1KKF Wrote: I did further checking and it is OK for someone to operate both GOTA and the SSB tent. The main concern is that he/she qualify for the GOTA requirements.

I looked for aluminum poles to hold up dinning flys today at Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods and at Mickey Finns to no avail. I guess we will have to order them from CampMor for next year.
73, Bill, W1KKF

Bill, I have to make a run up North sometime in the next two days. I will be going right by "Cabella's which is a HUGH Hunting/Fishing/Camping store. I will take a look at their web site and see if they have them. If not, we can go with your plan to get them for next year. If they DO have them I'll get a bunch as long as I'm going by there.

My son the hunter shops there and says the place has everything.

- WA1TRY
Rich - WA1TRY 
I'LL NEED TO SEE THE FOOT SWITCH AND MIC JACK SET UP TONIGHT.
I THINK I HAVE A RCA TO 1/8" PHONO ADAPTER THAT I WILL BRING TONIGHT
DAVE
W1CTN
Hi Dave,

I already had packed the foot switch into the go-kit, but there was another one in the cabinet. I have a box of all kinds of adapters and will bring that with me Friday night. Bring what you have anyway. Better to have an extra than none. We had the foot switch wired up for the station when we had a station set up. But I can't remember what we used to key the rig with it. There is a accessory DIN jack on the back of the TS-450 that I think I have to find. Yup I just checked the manual (which I will bring with me tomorrow. I meant to leave it in the SSB go kit. The back panel of the rig has a 7p DIN jack (called the remote connector). We use that jack to key the amplifier when we used it. It has an extra lead running off Pin 3 that is used with a foot switch to key the transmitter. That cable is somewhere in the cabinet. Tomorrow I will try to locate it.

I'm pretty sure we had two of those 7p Din cables wired to control the linear along with a foot switch lead.

73, Rich

(06-26-2014, 12:36 PM)W1CTN Wrote: I'LL NEED TO SEE THE FOOT SWITCH AND MIC JACK SET UP TONIGHT.
I THINK I HAVE A RCA TO 1/8" PHONO ADAPTER THAT I WILL BRING TONIGHT
DAVE
W1CTN
Rich - WA1TRY 
[attachment=28]I shot a few pics during the first day and thought I'd post. Great time everyone!Big Grin
73, Steve - KC1SA
Some feedback:

Been hearing from a few clubs throughout CT about the "Dismal Conditions" during Field Day.
Not many contacts on 40 or 20 meters, 6M deaf, only contacts on 80M, poor outings.
Time will tell the real numbers though, just thought I'd pass along what I hear.

My youngest, Stuart had a great time making his six contacts, one (1) on 20M and five (5) on 15M Sunday AM. Thanks to The Club & esp. John (N1GNV)!
Picture attached, Contacts 18 - 21 are Stuarts. #16 is his first ever Ham Contact.

Jim (N1ZN): Ill get the W1AW Broadcast to you as soon as I'm done transcribing it tonight. It'll be in Word (.doc) format unless you advise otherwise. I do have it in Audio format except for the first 8 words which were recorded by hand before the Digital Recorder was engaged.

Seems like Sunday night VHF opened a little as well as this morning (Monday).
I was hearing 2M contacts from as far as Philadelphia and Boston hitting the W1KKF, W1HDN and other repeaters.
Checked the Hepburn Maps and sure enough, there's a decent layer of Tropo throughout the NE and Mid-Atlantic.

Hepburn Site here: Hepburn Maps.

FWIW!

Attached Files Image(s)

K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

Great FD, in spite of poor conditions. Tnx Rob for the pix.
Jim/N1ZN, If you need any help putting the log together for mailing, let me know. Glad to help.
73, Bill, W1KKF
(06-30-2014, 01:59 PM)W1KKF Wrote: Great FD, in spite of poor conditions. Tnx Rob for the pix.
Jim/N1ZN, If you need any help putting the log together for mailing, let me know. Glad to help.
73, Bill, W1KKF

Okay Bill,
Once I get all the info I'll review it with you. We did well on the bonus points.
Jim
Jim, did you receive the W1AW Bulletin?
I emailed it to you Monday evening.
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email