Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Latest news: - - - - Next Zoom Activity Meeting Thursday March 28th - - - -

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum's site looks odd on some PCs
I took my responses to W1DQ's question about the Forum's site looking weird with some installations of Windows & Browsers.  This is what I've found so far on three PCs at my QTH.

------- 1/30/2022 @ 06:51AM ------

It seems to be a windows / browser combination issue.  I have three Windows 10 Machines; 
  • An I7 860 tower that Windows 10 Professional was installed in December 2021. 
  • A Lenovo T420 Laptop that Windows 10 Professional was installed in October 2020.
  • A Lenovo I7 ThinkPad Laptop that Windows 10 Home was factory installed in 2016.

I7 860 Tower system
Chrome is my default browser, version 97.0.4692.99
Edge is version 97.0.1072.76  (BTW, Edge is really rebadged Chrome by Microsoft, MS gave up on Internet Explorer and adopted Chrome as their Browser of choice calling in Edge back in 2019)
Windows Professional is 10.0.19044 

Forum site looks fine.

Lenovo T420 Laptop

Chrome is the same version as on the above machine
Edge is version 97..0.0172.69
Windows Professional is 10.0.19042
Forums site looks goofy with either browswer

Lenovo I7 Thinkpad Laptop
Chrome is same version as above
Edge is V97.0.1072.76
Windows Home is 10.0.19042
Forums site looks goofy with Chrome, looks fine with Edge

I7 thinkpad is up to date with MS updates (check for updates and MS reports no updates available even though build is 19042)
T420 laptop is still going through updates, currently on 21H1 update which is still not the latest)
I7 860 Tower is up to date with MS updates, none available..

Addendum
Old HP Laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 SP3
Chrome version 49.0.2623.112 - loads forums and looks fine
Windows Explorer will not load the w1nrg.com website - 404 error

---------- END  --------
73, Steve - KC1SA
Formats OK on Chrome on this PC, not OK on Firefox.

1. I did start a process of helping to move the site from HTTP to HTTPS last year, and we got past one hurdle with the hosting company turning it on. Once we got that figured out though, I discovered it wasn't as simple as flipping the switch to make the change because there's tons of mixed content hard coded into pages across the entire site. I did make some of the fixes but the scope got beyond me and this is evidence of an area where I a.) don't know where the files are and b.) haven't even looked at how, or have the skills to fix this.

2. If you do want to use Chrome, this is actually an easy fix to force the browser to accept mixed content on a site-to-site basis. This page here explains is pretty clearly. I did this, refreshed the page and it works fine
    1. https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/experiences/vec/troubleshoot-composer/mixed-content.html?lang=en
      How Do I Enable Mixed Content in My Browser? | Adobe Target
      For more information, see Mixed Content on the Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) website.. Enabling mixed content in Google Chrome. If you’re visiting a site via a secure connection, Chrome verifies that the content on the web page has been transmitted safely.
      experienceleague.adobe.com

3. 3. The below files are what Chrome dev inspector is saying are unsecure on the forum.

[Image: 0?ui=2&ik=6636272827&attid=0.2&permmsgid...Q&disp=emb]
[img=0x0]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=6636272827&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1723382588530238910&th=17eaaf55597025be&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-aO_Y9rTXn8UrvZ6tJptUcX3gDaA_5to5248tql5AORdO2ozuSbHCSUdW9vAjUS8o10hvmUvam-E-ko4XXbiZw7EMRmanQfxLeZhjbDAQ4IKJWZkqLTNW9FOQ&disp=emb[/img]

Jeff
KC1HDB
73, Steve - KC1SA
The “not normal” display was a result of webpage encryption and not a matter of which combination of Operating System and Browser is being used as all modern systems have such settings.  The W1NRG webmaster, whoever that is, needs to upgrade the W1NRG BB Forum that seems to be behind.

HTTPS is HTTP with encryption. The difference between the two protocols is that HTTPS uses TLS (SSL) to encrypt normal HTTP requests and responses. As a result, HTTPS is far more secure than HTTP. A website that uses HTTP has HTTP:// in its URL, while a website that uses HTTPS has HTTPS://.

The Forum BB system incorporates pages of mixed encryptions.  The part of the display that is not encrypted is now normally blocked and to return to the “normal” display requires one to change that page from “block” to “allow”.  It is, it Is a matter of the encryption settings in place at the time the webpage is accessed

There may be a lock icon that one can click on the lock icon and pull up a menu box.  This will lead you to the browser’s encryption setting for the web page in use.  You can then choose to block the site or allow it.  If, you choose to allow a HTTP version you will no longer prevent anyone from monitoring the session; take care not to input sensitive private information.
(01-31-2022, 02:31 PM)W1DQ Wrote: The “not normal” display was a result of webpage encryption and not a matter of which combination of Operating System and Browser is being used as all modern systems have such settings.  The W1NRG webmaster, whoever that is, needs to upgrade the W1NRG BB Forum that seems to be behind.

HTTPS is HTTP with encryption. The difference between the two protocols is that HTTPS uses TLS (SSL) to encrypt normal HTTP requests and responses. As a result, HTTPS is far more secure than HTTP. A website that uses HTTP has HTTP:// in its URL, while a website that uses HTTPS has HTTPS://.

The Forum BB system incorporates pages of mixed encryptions.  The part of the display that is not encrypted is now normally blocked and to return to the “normal” display requires one to change that page from “block” to “allow”.  It is, it Is a matter of the encryption settings in place at the time the webpage is accessed

There may be a lock icon that one can click on the lock icon and pull up a menu box.  This will lead you to the browser’s encryption setting for the web page in use.  You can then choose to block the site or allow it.  If, you choose to allow a HTTP version you will no longer prevent anyone from monitoring the session; take care not to input sensitive private information.

W1DQ, 100% agree.  No sensitive material should be posted on http sites.  It's my understanding the state of this website will be as it is, eventually we will be moving to a more secure, more modern system... that is on the table for discussion with leadership.
KC1SA
73, Steve - KC1SA