Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ARRL 10 METER CONTEST
(11-25-2014, 12:32 AM)KC1BAQ Wrote: Thanks, Rich. Several of us thought that it was wired for 220V because the plug looked different. I've attached a picture of a similar plug found on the internet to this reply.

If its wired for 110V do we need to have a special outlet installed or do you just use an adapter? Also, how much current does the amp draw? Does it pull more than a standard 15amp circuit can provide?

Thanks and 73,
Joe

I believe that picture is of a 110V 20A plug. Haven't seen one of those since my younger days as a cook.

Steve

(11-25-2014, 08:46 AM)KC1AXJ Wrote:
(11-25-2014, 12:32 AM)KC1BAQ Wrote: Thanks, Rich. Several of us thought that it was wired for 220V because the plug looked different. I've attached a picture of a similar plug found on the internet to this reply.

If its wired for 110V do we need to have a special outlet installed or do you just use an adapter? Also, how much current does the amp draw? Does it pull more than a standard 15amp circuit can provide?

Thanks and 73,
Joe

I believe that picture is of a 110V 20A plug. Haven't seen one of those since my younger days as a cook. Well, I stand corrected, that could be a 220V plug. Not sure what the amp is but thought someone said it was a Ameritron AL-811. According to the manual the max draw is 8A (but I think that's at 220V, the manual is a little vague). The unit is shipped with 12A fuses when wired from the factory at 110V.

Just my two cents worth.

Steve
73, Steve - KC1SA
Clipped....
[/quote]

I believe that picture is of a 110V 20A plug. Haven't seen one of those since my younger days as a cook. Well, I stand corrected, that could be a 220V plug. Not sure what the amp is but thought someone said it was a Ameritron AL-811. According to the manual the max draw is 8A (but I think that's at 220V, the manual is a little vague). The unit is shipped with 12A fuses when wired from the factory at 110V.

Just my two cents worth.

Steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

The manual states a 5-15P plug comes standard for 120VAC operation.
The 5-15 connector is rated at 15A.

Our rig is equipped with a 20A, 5-20P to accommodate the receptacle in the Garage at The Club which is a 5-20R. It is oversized in terms of current supplying capability so it should never degrade due to heat damage. The 5-20 connectors are rated for 120VAC service, not 220VAC.
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

(11-25-2014, 10:18 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: Clipped....

Just my two cents worth.

Steve

If you remember in one of my emails to you I mentioned that the Amp was wired for 115 VAC. Now if there is not an outlet for it, you may need to change the plug to a standard wall outlet, BUT you don't know what the total draw on that circuit may be. You may have to find out where there is a circuit that is not being used, (in the garage?), and run a heavy duty extension cord there for the amp. Caution is advised plugging everything into the outlets in the kitchen area. Another Idea is to set up in the garage near the outlet for the amp, but then you are in an "echo chamber" for SSB and may need to set the baffles up. Though maybe the echo won't be too bad with the head set.

Al

... Confuse people - quote from the wrong message

(11-25-2014, 10:18 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: The manual states a 5-15P plug comes standard for 120VAC operation.
The 5-15 connector is rated at 15A.

Our rig is equipped with a 20A, 5-20P to accommodate the receptacle in the Garage at The Club which is a 5-20R. It is oversized in terms of current supplying capability so it should never degrade due to heat damage. The 5-20 connectors are rated for 120VAC service, not 220VAC.
Yes I remember the email. I was stating the ratings for the outlets & plugs for the Amp and what's available at The Club. That was easier than digging out your email and copying/pasting here.

I will make a 10-3 Extension Cord with 5-20 Power Connectors long enough for the run from the garage to the kitchen and donate it to The Club.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

(11-23-2014, 12:05 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: Meeting Notes:

10M Contest Informal Meeting @ Dad's

Attendance Log

1 Dave Arruzza W1CTN
2 John Blevins K1VDF
3 John Bartscherer N1GNV
4 Rob Cichon KC1ACN
5 Steve Allen KC1AXJ
6 Joe Hamm KC1BAQ
7 Jon Winslow KB1HCC
Decided to equip the Antenna for High Power using the Club
Amplifier. Use of Amp dependant on Operator & Conditions.
Making a directional antenna at Quicksilver Radio on 12/6 10AM
Haggie making a Verticle Antenna for use.
Dave W1CTN digging out an antenna in backyard, directional.
Installing three (3) antennas at W1NRG for the 10M Contest
Working only daytime. May reevaluate if Flux indicates openings
Interest in making Contest Meetings monthly at Dad's
Haggie, Rob, Dave A and John using their Tripod setups for Antennae
Need for Setup Crew before event, TBD as we draw closer.
WiFi Hotspot must be renewed before 10M Contest: Rob
K1MVM wants to Operate AM or Early Afternoon Sunday
N1GNV wants to Operate Saturday Sunday
KC1BAQ committed to Operating
KC1AXJ committed to Operating
John Yusza K1LYP indicated interest.
KC1ACN wants to Operate Saturday and Sunday

I will keep this Forum Post as a Continuing Post for All to keep track of the 10M Contest as we progress. In addition to the above amended notes, please read the following:

-Steve Waldmann WV2KLM offered a 10M Verticle for the Contest.
-Dave W1CTN offered a 10M Hygain 3el Beam for the Contest as well as plans for fabricating 10M 2el Beams for the Fabrication Team to consider.
-Al suggested there may be 'RF In The Shack' issues when using the Amplifier as well as being willing to set up N1MM Classic for the 10M Contest.
-I have several ferrite toroids that I will bring to The Club that we can utilize during the Contest if needed.
- I will fabricate a 10-3 Extension Cord with 5-20P/R Power Connectors for use with the Amplifier during the Contest which I will donate to The Club afterwards.
-Bill W1KKF offered to Operate CW if someone is willing to Log for him during the Contest.
-Haggie KB1HCC indicated "All In" which to me, means he not only is willing to help with the 10M Verticle construction & Station Setup but is willing to Operate as well.

We still need Operators (December 13 - 14 2014 at The W1NRG Clubhouse),
Beam Construction Crew Members on 12/6 at Quicksilver Radio in Meriden (Address Here):
(Quicksilver Radio Products, 387 South Colony St., Meriden, CT 06451)
and Setup/ Takedown Crew Members before and after The Contest to set up the Station.

Please email me via The Reflector or personally at KC1ACN@arrl.net or reply here if you want to or are willing to help!

-- Rob
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

The plug shown in the picture is a 6-20P which is used for 240V.
A 5-20 plug would have the horizontal blade on the other side.

As I stated earlier in this thread the amp is only fused for 12amps when running 120v so it is not drawing a lot of current. So an easy way to check how the amp is wired is to look at the fuses.
12 amp fuses = 120v
8 amp fuses = 240v

However don't know if the breakers in the firehouse are 20 amp or still 15 amp so a seperate circuit would be best.

Thanks and 73,
Joe
The plug on the amp is a 20 amp 120 volt volt. At both our old shacks we had a dedicated 20 amp 120 AC line.

Some notes about the amp ... This would be the first time we would be using the amp at the Cook Hill site for phone operation. It is very easy to have the amp mal-adjusted or over-driven causing spurs and radio interference if you don't know how to operate it.

I'm concerned because of the close proxiemty of condos close by. I believe we have run the amp in strickly CW contests from this location in the past and we had no problems. But the CW bunch are very familiar with it's operation and tune up procedure. With any phone operation it can be easier to create problems. I will be present at least prior to the contest for help with antennas and equipment set up and for the start of the contest.

The amp is still mounted to it's rack mount. All our equipment used to be permanetly installed in a 7 foot long commercial 19" rack mount system.

All the cables etc. are in the cabinets.

Where we used to have the rack (in the garage) there is a quad outlet AC electrical box. That has two separate lines .. one a standard 110 v. 15 amp and the other a 110v 20 amp which was for the amp. While we have used the kitchen as our primary operating station, we have always used no more than a few radios and only one a 100 watt rig. We should do some experimentation now before the contest to see how that one electrical outlet in the kitchen works with a couple heavy loads.

When we were at the old station downstairs in the building next to the Wlfd senior center, we had to run a short (30 foot or so) 110 vo. cable made out of #10 wire to feed the amp. At that time we had the 7 foot rack with two 100 watt radios, various other packet stuff radios, computers etc. and the linear amp. The whole console was fed by the existing 110v outlets and we used the AC extention cord to get another 110 volt line from another ac outlet in another part of the room that was on a different circuit. Never had any trouble there.

A ground mounted vertical is more prone to cause RFI than a higher yagi or other high wire antenna. I don't forsee any problems if we use antennas that are cut and adjusted just for 10 meter operation. Harmonics can be an issue when using multi-band antennas, especially when using high power.

The best working setup we have used in the past has been the TS-690 to the amp and the Ten Tec tuner. The Ten Tec Tuner should okay for 10 meters if we are using single band antennas for 10 meters only. Even though we might have a broad band dedicated antenna for 10 meters with virtually no SWR, would still recommend using the tuner. It will help to keep harmonics etc. down.

I will have everything set up and operational for testing long before the contest. If anyone wants to help I'll post here when I'm going to be in town to do this.

WA1TRY

Thanks and 73,
Joe
(11-26-2014, 02:23 PM)WA1TRY Wrote: The plug on the amp is a 20 amp 120 volt volt. At both our old shacks we had a dedicated 20 amp 120 AC line.

<snip>

If anyone wants to help I'll post here when I'm going to be in town to do this.

WA1TRY

Off topic ... could everyone please put the DATE for any thing evolving meetings etc on your posts.

I've seen MUCH banter on the reflector and this forum about a meeting at someplace with the place and time, but NO DATE ... I had to search through tons of reflector posts until I decided it easy easier to ask here. <grin>

The place, the time, AND the date ....

I want to attend that off site meeting ... or did I already miss it ??

73, Rich
Rich - WA1TRY 
Jim: Thanks for the correction. I gave the picture a quick glance. Should have looked at the gear before spouting off.

Rich: Thank You! I would like to be there (as schedule permits) to learn and assist.
And I will keep posting dates as you advised. My last post in this Thread has all the current dates in it.
We have already met at Dad's last Saturday.
I will post the next off-site meeting probably in another Thread unless the Meeting pertains to *this* 10M Contest.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Update 12/3/2014

***Reminder***

10M Beam Building at QuickSilver Radio Products this Saturday 12/6/2014 at 10:00AM
Address info here: QuickSilver Radio Products

Putting together a 10M Beam Antenna for W1NRG Club use in the 10M CW/SSB Contest,
Second full weekend of December. Starts 0000 UTC Saturday; runs through 2359 UTC Sunday (December 13-14, 2014).

Attendees (hopefully not a complete list, if your name is not on here and you want to attend/stop by/assist please add your name or just show up).

John B - N1GNV
John B - K1VDF
Mike - K1MVM
Joe - KC1BAQ
Steve - KC1AXJ as time permits
Dave - W1CTN
Haggie - KB1HCC

(11-26-2014, 12:33 AM)KC1ACN Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 12:05 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: Meeting Notes:

10M Contest Informal Meeting @ Dad's

Attendance Log

1 Dave Arruzza W1CTN
2 John Blevins K1VDF
3 John Bartscherer N1GNV
4 Rob Cichon KC1ACN
5 Steve Allen KC1AXJ
6 Joe Hamm KC1BAQ
7 Jon Winslow KB1HCC
Decided to equip the Antenna for High Power using the Club
Amplifier. Use of Amp dependant on Operator & Conditions.
Making a directional antenna at Quicksilver Radio on 12/6 10AM
Haggie making a Verticle Antenna for use.
Dave W1CTN digging out an antenna in backyard, directional.
Installing three (3) antennas at W1NRG for the 10M Contest
Working only daytime. May reevaluate if Flux indicates openings
Interest in making Contest Meetings monthly at Dad's
Haggie, Rob, Dave A and John using their Tripod setups for Antennae
Need for Setup Crew before event, TBD as we draw closer.
WiFi Hotspot must be renewed before 10M Contest: Rob
K1MVM wants to Operate AM or Early Afternoon Sunday
N1GNV wants to Operate Saturday Sunday
KC1BAQ committed to Operating
KC1AXJ committed to Operating
John Yusza K1LYP indicated interest.
KC1ACN wants to Operate Saturday and Sunday

I will keep this Forum Post as a Continuing Post for All to keep track of the 10M Contest as we progress. In addition to the above amended notes, please read the following:

-Steve Waldmann WV2KLM offered a 10M Verticle for the Contest.
-Dave W1CTN offered a 10M Hygain 3el Beam for the Contest as well as plans for fabricating 10M 2el Beams for the Fabrication Team to consider.
-Al suggested there may be 'RF In The Shack' issues when using the Amplifier as well as being willing to set up N1MM Classic for the 10M Contest.
-I have several ferrite toroids that I will bring to The Club that we can utilize during the Contest if needed.
- I will fabricate a 10-3 Extension Cord with 5-20P/R Power Connectors for use with the Amplifier during the Contest which I will donate to The Club afterwards.
-Bill W1KKF offered to Operate CW if someone is willing to Log for him during the Contest.
-Haggie KB1HCC indicated "All In" which to me, means he not only is willing to help with the 10M Verticle construction & Station Setup but is willing to Operate as well.

We still need Operators (December 13 - 14 2014 at The W1NRG Clubhouse),
Beam Construction Crew Members on 12/6 at Quicksilver Radio in Meriden (Address Here):
(Quicksilver Radio Products, 387 South Colony St., Meriden, CT 06451)
and Setup/ Takedown Crew Members before and after The Contest to set up the Station.

Please email me via The Reflector or personally at KC1ACN@arrl.net or reply here if you want to or are willing to help!

-- Rob
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email