Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ARRL 10 METER CONTEST
(12-13-2014, 08:26 PM)KC1BAQ Wrote: Great job on the 10M setup. The beams are working great and the antenna switch is also very nice.

I do have few items of feedback from operating the 10M contest:
1)Some of the operators aren't capable of going in the backyard and rotating the beams. We should investigate a way to fit each beam with a rotor. Or another idea would be to setup one beam for each major direction (North, South, East, West) so they don't have to be rotated.
2)The headset was causing the radio to get stuck in transmit. John K1VDF suggested that it might be causing RF to get into the wires somewhere.
3)It would be nice for the club to purchase a really nice Heil Pro 7 headset (or similar) for contest use. Leaning over the table and speaking into the mic for a couple hours is not very comfortable. Its also hard to operate with guys hanging out and talking in the kitchen. I certainly don't want to discourage people from hanging out, but it is very distracting to the operator. Also, I noticed that some of our members suffer from hearing loss and a nice headset would help them hear better and without distractions from others in the room.
4)The footswitch was very nice to have during the sweepstakes. It would be nice to have this setup for future contests. We need a good way to keep it from moving around on the floor.
5)We need to get everyone better trained on using the N1MM+ software. For future contests, it would probably be helpful to have a training session on the same day as the contest setup. I'd also suggest that operators arrive early before their shift so they can get up to speed on the setup, see observe the previous operator, and ask questions if needed.

Joe
All good suggestions.. We should document with pictures connections/cables and such needed for each radio and put in a notebook. Should be easy to do, perhaps an activity meeting?

Lots of fun today!

Steve
73, Steve - KC1SA
All good suggestions Joe.

Also, aside from the SSB & CW Go Kits we should have an Accessory Bin for each Rig to better organize the SSB, CW & Amplifier Apparatus. This way when we set up for a Contest or whatever, ALL items pertaining to that (those) Rig(s) are with the rig.

Also maybe a Training Activity at the Club on Amplifier & High Power Tuner Use. I'd like to be able to use the Amp during the ARRL DX Contest coming up and I think others would too.

Contest Update:
When Mike K1MVM started this morning, we had 70000 points accumulated. He is Operating CW and when we changed the N1MM+ mode to CW, the Band Map literally filled with red Multipliers. I think I saw Mike start to salivate!!!

Also; when Joe & I went back up last night, Joe discovered a few blown fuses in the Power Pole Strip. The Voice Keyer malfunctioned for a few minutes before he found the issue.
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

Guess it doesn't take much to get Mike all hot and bothered! Tongue

Heard the club twice this weekend. Once yesterday and once today when they topped me in a pileup. I was looking for you calling so I could pounce on you for a contact.

Al

(12-14-2014, 11:14 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: Contest Update:
When Mike K1MVM started this morning, we had 70000 points accumulated. He is Operating CW and when we changed the N1MM+ mode to CW, the Band Map literally filled with red Multipliers. I think I saw Mike start to salivate!!!

Also; when Joe & I went back up last night, Joe discovered a few blown fuses in the Power Pole Strip. The Voice Keyer malfunctioned for a few minutes before he found the issue.
After review, one dupe exists: W1AW/7 in CW.
I'm going to leave it in since we are not penalized for dupes (with an Electronic Log Submission).

Eventually if we can add other members' score to ours:
K1PU - 192896
N1API - 316220
W1CTN - 127660
W1NRG - 167860
Raw Total = 804636

I wonder if it's that simple.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Rob,
You don't have to do anything else.

The sponsor of the contest, ARRL for this one, will combine the individual scores and list them in the club sidebar when the results come out.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that the individuals who operated from home enter the club affiliation properly in their logs.

That's how the little old Italian man, "Mr. Cabrillo", at ARRL and CQ knows what club bucket to throw the respective logs into.

Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia
203 735 9725
I believe the proper name for the club log is "MERIDEN ARC". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe
(12-16-2014, 10:05 AM)KC1ACN Wrote: After review, one dupe exists: W1AW/7 in CW.
I'm going to leave it in since we are not penalized for dupes (with an Electronic Log Submission).

Eventually if we can add other members' score to ours:
K1PU - 192896
N1API - 316220
W1CTN - 127660
W1NRG - 167860
Raw Total = 804636

I wonder if it's that simple.

Yes correct leave the dupes in. And Jim has a small score to add but not sure of how much.

Al
(12-16-2014, 12:13 PM)KC1BAQ Wrote: I believe the proper name for the club log is "MERIDEN ARC". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe
Correct!
Well I think Steve is handling supplying ARRL with "Operators in Good Standing" document or maybe has done so already. He was working on it last night.

ARRL needs that document (and three contributions per Contest) before any Meriden ARC Member can contribute points to The Club in a Contest.

That's The Report anyway.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

(12-16-2014, 01:37 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: Well I think Steve is handling supplying ARRL with "Operators in Good Standing" document or maybe has done so already. He was working on it last night.

ARRL needs that document (and three contributions per Contest) before any Meriden ARC Member can contribute points to The Club in a Contest.

That's The Report anyway.

Yes, sent in names of all club members as of yesterday for Sweeps with name and call sign. Name of club is Meriden ARC. I submitted to the contesting folks as that / W1NRG.
I haven't heard back from my contact at HQ (Matt) so I assume all is well.

I'll be sending this same list to HQ contesting either Wednesday or Thursday (we have 30 days to submit...I assume they don't sift through the rubble of all the logs until 30 days is up).

Steve - KC1AXJ
73, Steve - KC1SA