Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSK and RTTY contests
This weekend brought me to spending some time on the air for both PSK and RTTY contest that happened on Saturday and Sunday. Bands were pretty good and worked a number of contacts. I ran into a RTYY question on Sunday that I'm looking for advice.

I've worked several hundred RTTY contacts in the past and today worked upwards of 80 and had one complaint today.. "you're way off frequency". I typically use MMTTY for RTTY and tune as follows so the two peak frequencies (MARK and SPACE) are centered on the two yellow cursors on the FFT window. The Mark frequency window is usually hopping all over so I pretty much ignore that reading. This has worked for me for a long time. Today with the "you're way off frequency" comment I thought I'd ask others. I have notice that sometimes when I TX the audio of my RTTY signal sounds either higher or lower than the other persons signal. I've pressed the HAM button on MMTTY but that seems to only affect the demodulation onto the FIR window and doesn't seem to affect the TX signal.

I run in FSK mode using my Kenwood TS-2000, so no sound card is involved. Looking for advice. Attached is an audio clip of the a typical RTTY QSO with my rig. This was really no different when I got the complaint of being off frequency.

Steve - KC1AXJ
73, Steve - KC1SA
First of all in MMTTY use the XY scope when tuning the RTTY signal so you are centered on the station you are trying to work. A properly tuned signal will show the Mark straight horizontal and the space straight vertical (or slightly tipped to the left). The important part is to be "on the mark" which is the center of the RTTY signal.

(To change from the waterfall to the XY Scope click the mouse on the waterfall window.)

For normal RTTY DXing and QSOs the only time you should have to press the "HAM" button is the first time you open MMTTY. If you press it while on a signal without transmitting you will see that it will bring you off the stations mark frequency.

In N1MM in the RTTY Mode using MMTTY on the receive window there is a button on the top row "Align" use this button when turning on a station to align your transmit signal to his mark frequency. After working a while you should be able to tell by listening to your transmit tones if your receiver has monitor capabilities that your tone sounds slightly different from the other stations. If you are trying to work a station who has a strong signal and he does not seem to be pulling you off the top of the pile "push" the align button and you could be surprised that your next call will get you the contact.

Good luck.

Al - N1API

(01-03-2016, 06:31 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: This weekend brought me to spending some time on the air for both PSK and RTTY contest that happened on Saturday and Sunday. Bands were pretty good and worked a number of contacts. I ran into a RTYY question on Sunday that I'm looking for advice.

I've worked several hundred RTTY contacts in the past and today worked upwards of 80 and had one complaint today.. "you're way off frequency". I typically use MMTTY for RTTY and tune as follows so the two peak frequencies (MARK and SPACE) are centered on the two yellow cursors on the FFT window. The Mark frequency window is usually hopping all over so I pretty much ignore that reading. This has worked for me for a long time. Today with the "you're way off frequency" comment I thought I'd ask others. I have notice that sometimes when I TX the audio of my RTTY signal sounds either higher or lower than the other persons signal. I've pressed the HAM button on MMTTY but that seems to only affect the demodulation onto the FIR window and doesn't seem to affect the TX signal.

I run in FSK mode using my Kenwood TS-2000, so no sound card is involved. Looking for advice. Attached is an audio clip of the a typical RTTY QSO with my rig. This was really no different when I got the complaint of being off frequency.

Steve - KC1AXJ
Good advice on the scope view. I turned that off a while back as I thought my ears and two yellow bars were good enough. Tried it tonight and sure enough, the scope is a better fine tune adjustment. I also had AFC on by mistake, that will also cause a TX shift from what I read.

Thanks again.

(01-04-2016, 09:13 PM)N1API Wrote: First of all in MMTTY use the XY scope when tuning the RTTY signal so you are centered on the station you are trying to work. A properly tuned signal will show the Mark straight horizontal and the space straight vertical (or slightly tipped to the left). The important part is to be "on the mark" which is the center of the RTTY signal.

(To change from the waterfall to the XY Scope click the mouse on the waterfall window.)

For normal RTTY DXing and QSOs the only time you should have to press the "HAM" button is the first time you open MMTTY. If you press it while on a signal without transmitting you will see that it will bring you off the stations mark frequency.

In N1MM in the RTTY Mode using MMTTY on the receive window there is a button on the top row "Align" use this button when turning on a station to align your transmit signal to his mark frequency. After working a while you should be able to tell by listening to your transmit tones if your receiver has monitor capabilities that your tone sounds slightly different from the other stations. If you are trying to work a station who has a strong signal and he does not seem to be pulling you off the top of the pile "push" the align button and you could be surprised that your next call will get you the contact.

Good luck.

Al - N1API

(01-03-2016, 06:31 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: This weekend brought me to spending some time on the air for both PSK and RTTY contest that happened on Saturday and Sunday. Bands were pretty good and worked a number of contacts. I ran into a RTYY question on Sunday that I'm looking for advice.

Steve - KC1AXJ
73, Steve - KC1SA
I've never used the Scope in DigiModes. Thanks for the tip Al.

When using waterfall and in S&P Mode, I use the AFC to track the CQ'ing Station.

Sometimes this has a drawback: If another station in making contact and if they are off-frequency, the AFC won't differentiate between the two stations and sometimes will track the responding guy.

I'll have to try the scope now.....
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

the scope helped me in this contest. I wasn't using it until Al pointed it out. Now I see folks that are off frequency that are responding to a CQ..
(02-28-2016, 07:16 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: I've never used the Scope in DigiModes. Thanks for the tip Al.

When using waterfall and in S&P Mode, I use the AFC to track the CQ'ing Station.

Sometimes this has a drawback: If another station in making contact and if they are off-frequency, the AFC won't differentiate between the two stations and sometimes will track the responding guy.

I'll have to try the scope now.....
73, Steve - KC1SA