Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsual Memory Issue With My Yaesu 857D

I am having an unusual memory problem with my Yaesu 857-D. And YES I did do a master reset of the CPU and it still does not seem to help.

This evening, (Tuesday - during the 10 Meter Net actually), I was changing up some of the memories in the radio. I was getting rid of some unneeded HF and VHF frequency and moving things in a more logical order, tagging, (adding names) to some frequencies ect.

I was using CHIRP to upload the new frequency set to the radio. All SEEMED to go well.

But when I started to check the frequencies I would tune down from the top frequency and all of a sudden the display would change to 7.000 MHz LSB and all the memories would now be 7.000 MHz LSB.

Sometime letting the radio "rest" off the memories would be restored and I can tune through them maybe once but after a few seconds the memories all change back to 7.000 USB again. But for the most part once they change to 7.000 all the memories are lost. I can do another upload but the same thing happens again. I know with some older chips you can only do an "and write" function to the so much before the won't "write to" anymore but I have not changed the memories more than maybe a half dozen times.

I know that this sounds like a CPU issue but a master reset should fix that problem. I was also thinking that maybe the CPU Battery needs replacement but I would think that would be a rechargeable battery though the radio is 11 years old, (wow I just looked that up, did not think I had it that long.)

Anyone with THAT radio see those issues?

I WAS considering a higher end 6 meter radio, (the FT-3000) but there is no 2 meter and 432 in it. Not sure if I should wait to see what gets introduced at Dayton if Yaesu comes up with something like the 3000 with 6, 2 and 432 in it or just go for the the 3000 and ship the 757-D out for refurbishing. I know that the encoder is a little loose and the knob a little sticky but it was working and I just used it for the 6 meter net and an occasional VHF / UHF contest.

My main reason for waiting on the higher end 6 Meter radio is all the other projects I have to complete this year. Radio Computer, Travel Computer or something, Tower, Convention Trip, needed repair on the car, (small oil leak in front shroud), not big but expensive to fix. Other normal things..

I know I could just punch in the few frequencies I need but it would be nice to have the memories working.

Any advise needed!

Thanks

Al

Al - N1API
I'm assuming Yaesu stores the table in flash. Flash from 10 to 15 years ago were good for a minimum of 10k write/erase cycles (Intel - now Micron and AMD - now Cypress) were good for 100k cycles so that's not your issue. Flash will only store data for about 10 years under normal conditions, elevated temps will decrease that time.. again probably not your issue because you can re-write the data and it works for a bit. Doubt the battery but not having the schematic it's hard to say what yaesu does with the battery or how they store the table. If something did get goofed up in the table and a reset doesn't fix it then perhaps a reset and removing he battery is worth a shot. Dry air over the past few days, static damage? Have you changed to a different version of Chirp? Power supply? Sorry no better suggestions.

(01-19-2016, 11:23 PM)N1API Wrote:
I am having an unusual memory problem with my Yaesu 857-D. And YES I did do a master reset of the CPU and it still does not seem to help.

This evening, (Tuesday - during the 10 Meter Net actually), I was changing up some of the memories in the radio. I was getting rid of some unneeded HF and VHF frequency and moving things in a more logical order, tagging, (adding names) to some frequencies ect.

I was using CHIRP to upload the new frequency set to the radio. All SEEMED to go well.

But when I started to check the frequencies I would tune down from the top frequency and all of a sudden the display would change to 7.000 MHz LSB and all the memories would now be 7.000 MHz LSB.

Sometime letting the radio "rest" off the memories would be restored and I can tune through them maybe once but after a few seconds the memories all change back to 7.000 USB again. But for the most part once they change to 7.000 all the memories are lost. I can do another upload but the same thing happens again. I know with some older chips you can only do an "and write" function to the so much before the won't "write to" anymore but I have not changed the memories more than maybe a half dozen times.

I know that this sounds like a CPU issue but a master reset should fix that problem. I was also thinking that maybe the CPU Battery needs replacement but I would think that would be a rechargeable battery though the radio is 11 years old, (wow I just looked that up, did not think I had it that long.)

Anyone with THAT radio see those issues?

I WAS considering a higher end 6 meter radio, (the FT-3000) but there is no 2 meter and 432 in it. Not sure if I should wait to see what gets introduced at Dayton if Yaesu comes up with something like the 3000 with 6, 2 and 432 in it or just go for the the 3000 and ship the 757-D out for refurbishing. I know that the encoder is a little loose and the knob a little sticky but it was working and I just used it for the 6 meter net and an occasional VHF / UHF contest.

My main reason for waiting on the higher end 6 Meter radio is all the other projects I have to complete this year. Radio Computer, Travel Computer or something, Tower, Convention Trip, needed repair on the car, (small oil leak in front shroud), not big but expensive to fix. Other normal things..

I know I could just punch in the few frequencies I need but it would be nice to have the memories working.

Any advise needed!

Thanks

Al
73, Steve - KC1SA

I emailed Yaesu Tech Support about the memory problem with the 857D today. They replied within the hour. The answer I got is disheartening to say the least.

Here is part of their reply, (and a word of warning to others programming the Yaesu 857-D with CHIRP software to be sure and possibly other radios too).

"In either case the use of CHIRP software is not recommended by Yaesu, because we have experience corrupted CPUs in some of our radios that have used that software. At this point, I believe that service is indicated."

Al - N1API
I'd change the battery before i did anything else. I had to change both the club's Kenwood HF and the Town's Kenwood HF radio batteries a couple years ago. Change the battery and do a reset .. see if it runs okay and then if you want (with the new battery in it) try chirp again.

73, Rich - WA1TRY

(01-25-2016, 05:01 PM)N1API Wrote:
I emailed Yaesu Tech Support about the memory problem with the 857D today. They replied within the hour. The answer I got is disheartening to say the least.

Here is part of their reply, (and a word of warning to others programming the Yaesu 857-D with CHIRP software to be sure and possibly other radios too).

"In either case the use of CHIRP software is not recommended by Yaesu, because we have experience corrupted CPUs in some of our radios that have used that software. At this point, I believe that service is indicated."

Al - N1API
Rich - WA1TRY 
Not sure if the battery is "serviceable". Usually they are pretty hard to get to. I did that with my Alinco HT before I sold it. Lentini told me it was an "easy" change. It took about an hour and I practically had the thing down to all it's component parts. If it just just pull a cover off and replace it I probably would.

Al

(01-30-2016, 10:48 PM)WA1TRY - Rich Wrote: I'd change the battery before i did anything else. I had to change both the club's Kenwood HF and the Town's Kenwood HF radio batteries a couple years ago. Change the battery and do a reset .. see if it runs okay and then if you want (with the new battery in it) try chirp again.

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Al - N1API
I changed the batteries on the club 690 and the town's 450 (which are almost identical) and it really wasn't that bad. Involved pulling out the radio's full fascia and some careful manipulation to get to the battery. It's been a while and I have done several of these coin cell replacements for other radios, and in a couple cases it involved UN-soldering the coin and putting in a cell holder so you could change it without having to do any soldering. But I'm pretty sure the Kenwoods the club has were time consuming but easy to do and did not involve soldering. I'd check Google and see if you can find instructions on how to do it for your radio.

-Rich

(01-30-2016, 10:48 PM)WA1TRY - Rich Wrote: I'd change the battery before i did anything else. I had to change both the club's Kenwood HF and the Town's Kenwood HF radio batteries a couple years ago. Change the battery and do a reset .. see if it runs okay and then if you want (with the new battery in it) try chirp again.

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Al - N1API
Rich - WA1TRY 
I looked and could not find anything. BUT I did download the service manual and it's all small boards and micro circuity. I can't find the battery even looking through the parts list. Maybe it retains it's memories through some sort of circuity rather than a battery that holds the charge in the microprocessor for a (long) time before discharging. (OR) the basic set is programmed into the microprocessor and that is what Chirp destroyed?

I would be quite leery disassembling that radio to try and look for a battery!

Al

(02-02-2016, 05:07 PM)WA1TRY - Rich Wrote: I changed the batteries on the club 690 and the town's 450 (which are almost identical) and it really wasn't that bad. Involved pulling out the radio's full fascia and some careful manipulation to get to the battery. It's been a while and I have done several of these coin cell replacements for other radios, and in a couple cases it involved UN-soldering the coin and putting in a cell holder so you could change it without having to do any soldering. But I'm pretty sure the Kenwoods the club has were time consuming but easy to do and did not involve soldering. I'd check Google and see if you can find instructions on how to do it for your radio.

-Rich

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Al - N1API
Ah yes and I think that is one of those "tiny" all band all mode mobile rigs that are pretty packed with circuitry. I wouldn't even attempt it without a good schematic at least. Good luck .. may be time to send it back to the manufacturer.

73, Rich

(02-02-2016, 06:40 PM)N1API Wrote: I looked and could not find anything. BUT I did download the service manual and it's all small boards and micro circuity. I can't find the battery even looking through the parts list. Maybe it retains it's memories through some sort of circuity rather than a battery that holds the charge in the microprocessor for a (long) time before discharging. (OR) the basic set is programmed into the microprocessor and that is what Chirp destroyed?

I would be quite leery disassembling that radio to try and look for a battery!

Al

(02-02-2016, 05:07 PM)WA1TRY - Rich Wrote: I changed the batteries on the club 690 and the town's 450 (which are almost identical) and it really wasn't that bad. Involved pulling out the radio's full fascia and some careful manipulation to get to the battery. It's been a while and I have done several of these coin cell replacements for other radios, and in a couple cases it involved UN-soldering the coin and putting in a cell holder so you could change it without having to do any soldering. But I'm pretty sure the Kenwoods the club has were time consuming but easy to do and did not involve soldering. I'd check Google and see if you can find instructions on how to do it for your radio.

-Rich

73, Rich - WA1TRY

Al - N1API
Rich - WA1TRY 
I think I know the problem. Nobody knows what radio you are talking about which is why nobody can solve the problem.

In your first post you mention your 877-D then a couple paragraphs later your 757-D. A couple of post later you talk about your 858-D and then your 867-D.

Maybe they should give radios names instead of numbers and they would be easier to remember. Hi-Hi

(I.e. I was having a problem with my Fred last night so I had to switch to my Mary until I resolved the problem.)
Heh heh ... I've seen his radio .. Pretty sure it's an 857D. I had one myself a while back.

No problem Jim ... At least we know it was a radio and not a washing machine. Tongue

(02-05-2016, 04:09 PM)N1ZN Wrote: I think I know the problem. Nobody knows what radio you are talking about which is why nobody can solve the problem.

In your first post you mention your 877-D then a couple paragraphs later your 757-D. A couple of post later you talk about your 858-D and then your 867-D.

Maybe they should give radios names instead of numbers and they would be easier to remember. Hi-Hi

(I.e. I was having a problem with my Fred last night so I had to switch to my Mary until I resolved the problem.)
Rich - WA1TRY