Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FT4JA Juan De Nova Active

FT4JA Juan De Nova Island started yesterday the 29th of March and runs until April 11th.

Their web page is at: http://www.juandenovadx.com/en/

It is high on the wanted lists, # 10 in the DX List and # 6 on Clublog. They are working 160 through 6 meters with Elecraft radios, EXPERT 1.3K-FA amplifiers and a number of wire antennas, spider beams and a 2 element SteppIR for long path (?) operations to the west coast. (Turn it toward ME please!). They are working all modes SSB, CW and RTTY.

They had a good signal today on 12, and 15 meters. They were lite on 10 and 17 and I though I caught a few characters from them on 20 RTTY.

The pile ups are massive on this one also up to 25 kHz wide. You would think with two large operations going at once there would be a place to get a call in edgewise but it looks like all the DXers are out in full force for both operations.

GL

Al - N1API
OK. THE FREAKIN LIDS!

I know I'm no expert but at least I don't key up on the guys DX call frequency!

Tried him and heard him on 14090 RTTY tonight but the LIDS kept calling him on HIS DX freq.

When they stopped it was too late; my window must be about 30 minutes here with my condition.

Maybe I'll set up the gear at MARC and try HP... just a thought. Maybe this weekend. Maybe I'll try both: FT4JA and VK0EK from MARC......

Anyone want to go up with me?
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

Yea everyone makes a mistake once in a while and forgets the split. Even the experienced op.

I'm watching them on 20 RTTY once in a while I catch a character but I get more from the guys on the wrong frequency.

They had a huge signal on 17 CW today and were calling USA for hours but the pileup was horrendous. They were at .074 listening all the way up past .100. I was thinking that the pileup on them is larger than the VK0. They were going strong and just changed bands. Not a smart movie IMHO.

The VK0 goes to 160/30/40/60 as soon as his sun sets. Then he comes back to 10/12/15/17/20 when the sun comes up and we get about an hour and a half of shared sunlight with him. He had a good signal on 12 CW this morning and I got him there again for another band. He does some 20 meters at night.

Nothing yet on the FT4, and I was saying to my self listening to the USA pileup, "doesn't anyone work"?

But the FT4 seems to be getting stronger on 20 RTTY so keep an eye on him. I don't need 20 meters that's the only band I have him on but I DO need RTTY.

Al

(03-31-2016, 07:17 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: OK. THE FREAKIN LIDS!

I know I'm no expert but at least I don't key up on the guys DX call frequency!

Tried him and heard him on 14090 RTTY tonight but the LIDS kept calling him on HIS DX freq.

When they stopped it was too late; my window must be about 30 minutes here with my condition.

Maybe I'll set up the gear at MARC and try HP... just a thought. Maybe this weekend. Maybe I'll try both: FT4JA and VK0EK from MARC......

Anyone want to go up with me?

Al - N1API
Jeeze Al, this shouldn't be so hard. I can catch some characters on 20M but the LIDS JEEZE! I know I have him on 14090 receive but he's listening 14110 o 14117. The lids keep replying on 14090.

I can even catch CW with my Digi setup but I can't hear him on 40M tonight. 40M is my strong band too but he's not there.

I need to take a few days off I think!
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Nice going Al, heard you make him on 12M!

Just made him too!
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

(04-02-2016, 12:41 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: Nice going Al, heard you make him on 12M!

Just made him too!
Great! I'm glad that you heard it too cause boy he was lite on the reply that's why I asked "again" cause I thought it was me but was not sure. The band are horrible today. 10 is useless today. Still looking for 17, 10 and RTTY from him.

Also sent a help ticket to VK0 Pilots asking for some early morning our time late evening their time RTTY on HF during our shared sunlight window. Got an answer back that there will be more RTTY next week but DQRM is hard on RTTY. The pilot needs RTTY too.

I can see the poor conditions today on the DXA window of the VK0 he's only on 160 and 80 and only makes a couple of contacts a minute. They are about halfway through their night time as I write this.

Al
Yeah I'm waiting for daylight too. I think I heard him on 15M but no joy for me.

Never heard your reply (split) but I did hear him say, "November One Alpha Papa India".

I was like, .... HEY, that's Al! NICE!!!

If they can hear him.... now's my chance!!
About 5 minutes later - WHAMO... I hear "Charlie November".

Gave my CS twice,
then I heard "Kilo Charlie One"..
Again twice, then "Five Nine Charlie Tango CT".

Nice to get thru the Wall.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

(04-02-2016, 02:20 PM)KC1ACN Wrote: Yeah I'm waiting for daylight too. I think I heard him on 15M but no joy for me.

Never heard your reply (split) but I did hear him say, "November One Alpha Papa India".

I was like, .... HEY, that's Al! NICE!!!

If they can hear him.... now's my chance!!
About 5 minutes later - WHAMO... I hear "Charlie November".

Gave my CS twice,
then I heard "Kilo Charlie One"..
Again twice, then "Five Nine Charlie Tango CT".

Nice to get thru the Wall.

And that is one of the things that I push for the club members. The thrill of getting a rare DX station and seeing your call in the worked log, getting the QSL or LBOTW contact on ARRL.

We try and make our station the best it can be for the the antennas we can erect and the bands we can work.

Then work on our skills for what interests us, DX, Contests, 10-10, Counties, IOTAs or what ever floats your boat.

Al
Truer words never spoken.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

I can hear him on RTTY 10.141 up 5-15 22:45Z
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email