Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Latest news: - - - - Next Zoom Activity Meeting Thursday March 28th - - - -

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Day 2016 - June 25-26
Field Day will be held at the Cook Hill Fire Station (e.g. Club House, Medical Reserve Corp HQ) 37 Hall Road, Wallingford.

We will be operating 2F which means we will be running off commercial power from an emergency operations center (EOC).

The plan is to run two stations: CW and Phone.
The CW station will use the installed G5RV.
The Phone station will use a G5RV erected for the event.

We can have a GOTA station if someone would like to head that up.

More details to follow.
As a 2F Field Day class, W1NRG may also have a free VHF/UHF station. The VHF station can operate any mode (CW/SSB/Dig) without any time on band or mode restrictions. Scores are added to W1NRG base scores (Ooops, it isn't a contest.)

(05-23-2016, 01:53 PM)N1ZN Wrote: Field Day will be held at the Cook Hill Fire Station (e.g. Club House, Medical Reserve Corp HQ) 37 Hall Road, Wallingford.

We will be operating 2F which means we will be running off commercial power from an emergency operations center (EOC).

The plan is to run two stations: CW and Phone.
The CW station will use the installed G5RV.
The Phone station will use a G5RV erected for the event.

We can have a GOTA station if someone would like to head that up.

More details to follow.
Hi everyone. My XYL (Elsie KB1IFZ) & I have volunteered our time and gear to the Club to set up and run the GOTA station. We'll be providing our FT-857 and other mobile gear that we recently used on our DXpedition on St. Kitts. (We're long-time contesters -- even running, multiple times, the IARU HF World Championships from Aruba as part of the P40HQ team.)

As we're newbies to MARC, we defer to everyone's advice as to what you'd prefer us to use regarding antennas. We have two easy-up options that you could consider: (1) An ultra-compact dipole for 40m/20m. This is what we used in St. Kitts. It played fantastic. Then, again, we had an ocean-sized ground plane a few hundred yards away! http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-17754. (2) We also have a five-minute-setup homemade vertical that uses a 31-ft. telescoping kite / windsock pole, 29.5 ft. of wire, and a 9:1 unun. Here's an example (although, unlike the antenna example, we feed ours with a 9:1 unun): http://wb7x.super-web.biz/Vertical_antenna.html.

Of the two antenna options, the dipole will likely play better. But we don't know what you have for antenna end-supports and such. Of course, we could use whatever antennas you might already have in place. We are flexible to whatever you may need! We're here to help. Just let us know...

BTW, in case you're curious, here's some great information regarding the 9:1 unun: http://w5bii.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=9to1_unun_antenna

Eric KB1EHE
Elsie KB1IFZ
Hi everyone.

Just following up on my previous posts in this thread.

I took a couple of quick photos today (see below) to provide a little more info on the possible use of the 31-ft. instant vertical or the ultra-compact 40m/20m dipole as an inverted V. Glad to bring the items in the photos.

BTW, for the vertical, there would need to be AT LEAST 25 feet of coax from the base of the antenna (the exit of the 9:1 unun) as a counterpoise, then an "8 x 8" RF choke (8 turns of coax, 8" in diameter) before entering the shack (or before the operating station if outdoors).

Let me know if you'd like me and my XYL to provide these items.

Eric KB1EHE
Elsie KB1IFZ

[Image: tripod-fiberglass-rod-composite-graphic.png]
We've used this type of setup before for SS and things like that. Rich, WA1TRY has a number of sets of these and we used it for a 10 meter station at Bradley Field in 2013 for a 10-10 convention I ran. The last 10-10 convention ever.

Al - N1API

(06-07-2016, 09:15 PM)KB1EHE Wrote: Hi everyone.

Just following up on my previous posts in this thread.

I took a couple of quick photos today (see below) to provide a little more info on the possible use of the 31-ft. instant vertical or the ultra-compact 40m/20m dipole as an inverted V. Glad to bring the items in the photos.

BTW, for the vertical, there would need to be AT LEAST 25 feet of coax from the base of the antenna (the exit of the 9:1 unun) as a counterpoise, then an "8 x 8" RF choke (8 turns of coax, 8" in diameter) before entering the shack (or before the operating station if outdoors).

Let me know if you'd like me and my XYL to provide these items.

Eric KB1EHE
Elsie KB1IFZ

[Image: tripod-fiberglass-rod-composite-graphic.png]

Al - N1API
Jim will return Sunday (tomorrow) and probably follow up here but:

Your 20/40 Vertical would be the easiest setup. The side yard is open and would accommodate the requirements of the transmission line. If sunny GOTA can stay outside. If raining, indoors has enough room (garage).

The only Antenna we have up is the G5RV which will be used for CW Operations.
Another Dipole or J-Pole will be strung up to the SW-most Telephone pole with two tripods to for an inverted Vee or maybe a flat-top for SSB Operations.

VHF/UHF Operations needs a setup too and has requested that same pole. Jim will need to moderate this discussion this week to determine who gets what (as far as infrastructure).

If you (Eric) need anything from The Club, please supply a list early this week if possible to me.
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

Hi Rob.

Thanks for the note. The vertical operates 40m - 6m. The inverted V operates 20/40. So, just double-checking: I think your preference is the multi-band vertical...correct?

We love the idea of operating outside (with the garage as the backup plan). Our DXpedition Go Kit has pretty much everything we need. I think the only items that we would need would be: (1) Card table and four folding chairs (two for the newbie GOTA operators plus two for us operator coaches). (2) A big beach umbrella (or something similar) so we don't cook in the sun. (3) An extension cord providing with power to the operating spot.

Please confirm your antenna choice. After that, we'll be good to go!

Thanks.

Eric KB1EHE
Elsie KB1IFZ
I'm just the SAM... Jim is the Chief for FD 2016.

I'm sure he'll weigh-in.

I'll check equipment for an easy-up or the like. We do have Tents which we traditionally use for FD when we are mobile. Power, chairs shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe Al Kaiser can advise here if he knows about an easy-up or umbrella?
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Heading up to the MRC tonight to begin sorting gear. Anyone want to join? You are invited.
K1RCT - Rob
Home Email

Is WiFi available OUTSIDE of the Club House building? My social-media PR activities for our Field Day have gained significant traction -- and I am getting requests to live-stream video of the GOTA station (for those people from around Connecticut who can't be there in person). It's a great PR opportunity for MARC...and for our hobby, in general.

Right now, I am thinking to live stream via a YouTube channel. It's free. And will be viewable by anyone with a computer or smartphone. But the bandwidth of a WiFi connection is needed. Will any in-building WiFi reach to the outdoor spot where the GOTA station will be located?

Let me know. Thanks!

Eric KB1EHE