Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health New Report From An Old Friend Of The Club

I have not seen much lately posted by Geoff Fox, K1GF, who is an old friend of the club and many of our members. Those that don't remember Geoff from his association with the club should remember him as the TV Weatherman for Channel 8 WTNH. Geoff moved out to California a few years ago and has established himself as the Weatherman for a station in, Nebraska, where he broadcasts from a TV Studio he built in his garage and also has a Web Building Company called Doppler Design.

Geoff made a post to his blog today concerning his health and I've posted it as he wrote it below.

See the actual online post here: http://www.geofffox.com/MT/archives/2016...out-me.php where you can send a message of encouragement if you wish.

Al - N1API
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not So Good News about Me
by Geoff Fox

I've been pretty quiet recently and thought you should know why. A few months of indigestion brought me to my doctor’s office. Standard tests were performed which revealed masses in my kidney and pancreas.

Originally a biopsy showed both masses benign. My oncologist wasn’t satisfied. Something didn’t look right in my pancreas.

This time an ultrasound probe with camera was inserted down my throat to peer at my digestive system. The probe contained a small tube allowing doctors to insert a tiny needle and grab some tissue from the mass.

The results weren’t good.

At the moment the cancer in my pancreas is contained within the mass. It doesn’t look like it’s spread. These are good signs, but pancreatic cancer is relentless and long term survival isn’t common.

I’m undergoing surgery September 8th. It’s a very complex operation called a Whipple procedure. Portions of my stomach, intestines, bile duct, gallbladder and pancreas will be cut away, then the pieces reattached.

All of this is done in one of the body’s most complex areas. Organs overlap. Blood vessels and ducts vary in location from patient-to-patient. I’ve seen it called ‘taxing’ on the surgical team.

I’ll spend another seven or eight days in the hospital plus a week taking it easy at home. I’m already down 30 pounds and will probably lose another 15 or so.

It’s possible my surgery will deliver a cure. That, of course, is our hope. Many of my factors line up with a best case scenario. More likely the Whipple will just be life extension, hopefully adding years to my life. I’m good with that too.

The weird part is I feel great. I’m otherwise healthy. And who wouldn’t look better down 30 pounds!

Helaine, is at my side. Our daughter, Stefanie, too. My sister and brother-in-law are coming in from Milwaukee. I’ve got my support system.

My surgeon seems directly out of central casting. He is steady, confident and experienced. This kind of surgery begs for experienced hands.

After surgery I’ll probably need chemo and/or radiation. That will slow me down, but shouldn’t stop me. We can all laugh when I go bald.

The past winter, my 90 year old dad had five surgeries over two months. He even had a new valve inserted in his heart. At ninety that’s a lot of work, but they fixed him! He is my inspiration.

His goal in life is to attend his great grandson Judah's bar mitzvah in around seven years. I told him I'd buy him a drink.

The road ahead is scary. But it is what it is and I’m not ready to give up.
Update on Geoff:
Was to have surgery Thursday, but was postponed due to some cardiovascular issues. Had to have angioplasty and that procedure is done. Rescheduled surgery for later this month.

(09-02-2016, 12:50 PM)N1API Wrote:

I have not seen much lately posted by Geoff Fox, K1GF, who is an old friend of the club and many of our members. Those that don't remember Geoff from his association with the club should remember him as the TV Weatherman for Channel 8 WTNH. Geoff moved out to California a few years ago and has established himself as the Weatherman for a station in, Nebraska, where he broadcasts from a TV Studio he built in his garage and also has a Web Building Company called Doppler Design.

Geoff made a post to his blog today concerning his health and I've posted it as he wrote it below.

See the actual online post here: http://www.geofffox.com/MT/archives/2016...out-me.php where you can send a message of encouragement if you wish.

Al - N1API

by Geoff Fox

I've been pretty quiet recently and thought you should know why. A few months of indigestion brought me to my doctor’s office. Standard tests were performed which revealed masses in my kidney and pancreas.

Originally a biopsy showed both masses benign. My oncologist wasn’t satisfied. Something didn’t look right in my pancreas.

This time an ultrasound probe with camera was inserted down my throat to peer at my digestive system. The probe contained a small tube allowing doctors to insert a tiny needle and grab some tissue from the mass.

At the moment the cancer in my pancreas is contained within the mass. It doesn’t look like it’s spread. These are good signs, but pancreatic cancer is relentless and long term survival isn’t common.

I’m undergoing surgery September 8th. It’s a very complex operation called a Whipple procedure. Portions of my stomach, intestines, bile duct, gallbladder and pancreas will be cut away, then the pieces reattached.

All of this is done in one of the body’s most complex areas. Organs overlap. Blood vessels and ducts vary in location from patient-to-patient. I’ve seen it called ‘taxing’ on the surgical team.

I’ll spend another seven or eight days in the hospital plus a week taking it easy at home. I’m already down 30 pounds and will probably lose another 15 or so.

It’s possible my surgery will deliver a cure. That, of course, is our hope. Many of my factors line up with a best case scenario. More likely the Whipple will just be life extension, hopefully adding years to my life. I’m good with that too.

The weird part is I feel great. I’m otherwise healthy. And who wouldn’t look better down 30 pounds!

Helaine, is at my side. Our daughter, Stefanie, too. My sister and brother-in-law are coming in from Milwaukee. I’ve got my support system.

My surgeon seems directly out of central casting. He is steady, confident and experienced. This kind of surgery begs for experienced hands.

After surgery I’ll probably need chemo and/or radiation. That will slow me down, but shouldn’t stop me. We can all laugh when I go bald.

The past winter, my 90 year old dad had five surgeries over two months. He even had a new valve inserted in his heart. At ninety that’s a lot of work, but they fixed him! He is my inspiration.

His goal in life is to attend his great grandson Judah's bar mitzvah in around seven years. I told him I'd buy him a drink.

73, Steve - KC1SA
Yea Geoff has been posting on different things. I haven't been reposting everything that he's put up though I get an email once every couple of days on new things, but I've been watching.

Al

(09-02-2016, 12:50 PM)N1API Wrote:

Al - N1API

by Geoff Fox

Al - N1API