W1NRG Forum

Full Version: Resonant ground?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Odd little thing popped up. Have a Kenwood TS-2000 and running HRD using a 'good' FTDI based USB to RS-232 adapter. All works great, except on 10m. Key up and the USB adapter goes unrecognized by the PC. All other bands work fine. Of course when the USB goes unrecognized then HRD stops logging and working with the radio. My guess is a ground issue.

I'm on the second floor of my house. Ran a 14 AWG run of wire for my ground which is about 40' long. Something to research this weekend.
Steve,

I would suggest that you first install snap-on ferrite beads on each end of your USB to serial cable.

I too operate from a second floor station and have problems getting a good ground. I use an artificial ground like this one which tunes the ground so that it conducts rather than resonates (basically like an antenna tuner, except you are detuning instead...Ha!):
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.ph...id=MFJ-931

Keep us posted.

Joe
KC1BAQ
Steve,

Is that cable shielded? I think some of the cheaper ones are not so you might want to check on that.

Joe
KC1BAQ

(04-11-2014, 08:19 AM)KC1AXJ Wrote: [ -> ]Odd little thing popped up. Have a Kenwood TS-2000 and running HRD using a 'good' FTDI based USB to RS-232 adapter. All works great, except on 10m. Key up and the USB adapter goes unrecognized by the PC. All other bands work fine. Of course when the USB goes unrecognized then HRD stops logging and working with the radio. My guess is a ground issue.

I'm on the second floor of my house. Ran a 14 AWG run of wire for my ground which is about 40' long. Something to research this weekend.
(04-11-2014, 08:19 AM)KC1AXJ Wrote: [ -> ]Odd little thing popped up. Have a Kenwood TS-2000 and running HRD using a 'good' FTDI based USB to RS-232 adapter. All works great, except on 10m. Key up and the USB adapter goes unrecognized by the PC. All other bands work fine. Of course when the USB goes unrecognized then HRD stops logging and working with the radio. My guess is a ground issue.

Yep sounds like it's acting more like an antenna. You could try braided wire the larger the better but still may not work. Its there a good electrical ground close by? If there is a good solid electrical ground you could try that.

-73- Al