W1NRG Forum

Full Version: Something Ineresting from Cannon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

You know if you purchase a printer or something like that and you register it on the manufactures web page they from time to time send you updates on the products drivers when and if they change.

I have a Cannon i850 color printer that I purchased a number of years back. I guess when I purchased it I either had XP on the computer or just said that my OS was XP.

Well today I get a product update from Cannon that said that with XP no longer supported that if I plan to upgrade my OS the printer is compatible with Window 7 but not Windows 8 and they are offering a Loyalty Upgrade to their long time customers.

I find it unusual that they are not going to write drivers for Windows 8. Fortunately my computer is running Windows 7 and I don't need to scrap a perfect printer for a new one.

-73-
Most manufacturers cut off updates for new OS drivers after 10 years. Your printer was first produced in 2002. I think you were lucky to find Windows 7 drivers, let alone drivers for a 12 year old printer.

I can hear the sales dept. at Canon now: "Guess we aren't going sell this guy a new printer Angry".

73, Rich WA1TRY

(05-01-2014, 12:25 PM)N1API Wrote: [ -> ]

You know if you purchase a printer or something like that and you register it on the manufactures web page they from time to time send you updates on the products drivers when and if they change.

I have a Cannon i850 color printer that I purchased a number of years back. I guess when I purchased it I either had XP on the computer or just said that my OS was XP.

Well today I get a product update from Cannon that said that with XP no longer supported that if I plan to upgrade my OS the printer is compatible with Window 7 but not Windows 8 and they are offering a Loyalty Upgrade to their long time customers.

I find it unusual that they are not going to write drivers for Windows 8. Fortunately my computer is running Windows 7 and I don't need to scrap a perfect printer for a new one.

-73-