W1NRG Forum

Full Version: ARRL 160 CONTEST
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TO ALL:
It's an all CW affair that starts late this afternoon.

Load something up and play on our only medium frequency band. Use a random wire, rain gutter or whatever with a tuner and see how far you can get.

If there is interest I will do a small program on simple 160m antennas.

My friend and I have done very well with simple antennas employing minimal ground systems, as in 100 countries and all continents worked in 2 seasons with only 100 watts.

Anyone can do the same with a bit of wire and commitment.

Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia

Starts 2200 UTC Friday, ends 1600 UTC Sunday (December 5-7, 2014). This is a forty-two hour period with no time limitation.

Dave
W1CTN
(12-05-2014, 02:43 PM)W1CTN Wrote: [ -> ]TO ALL:
It's an all CW affair that starts late this afternoon.

Load something up and play on our only medium frequency band. Use a random wire, rain gutter or whatever with a tuner and see how far you can get.

If there is interest I will do a small program on simple 160m antennas.

My friend and I have done very well with simple antennas employing minimal ground systems, as in 100 countries and all continents worked in 2 seasons with only 100 watts.

Anyone can do the same with a bit of wire and commitment.

Dave
W1CTN
Radio Ansonia

Starts 2200 UTC Friday, ends 1600 UTC Sunday (December 5-7, 2014). This is a forty-two hour period with no time limitation.

Dave
W1CTN
I'll bet I know what N1ZN will be doing this weekend!

Al
Well I hope others will give it a try.

Not much real DX shows up, it's pretty much a 160 Worked All States Party. But if you can work the west coast that is actually harder than working England or coastal Europe as the west coast is an "all dirt" path and Europe is a "all water path" and the water path equates to less signal loss.

Get up early and try a shot at Hawaii. Between 5:30 - 7:00 AM local there are usually a few to work and it's not hard to do, even with low power.

Dave
(12-05-2014, 04:54 PM)W1CTN Wrote: [ -> ]Well I hope others will give it a try.

Not much real DX shows up, it's pretty much a 160 Worked All States Party. But if you can work the west coast that is actually harder than working England or coastal Europe as the west coast is an "all dirt" path and Europe is a "all water path" and the water path equates to less signal loss.

Get up early and try a shot at Hawaii. Between 5:30 - 7:00 AM local there are usually a few to work and it's not hard to do, even with low power.

Dave

looking for those 5wpm folks...none found