W1NRG Forum

Full Version: ARRL January VHF Contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks, Dave!
(12-19-2014, 03:10 AM)KC1BAQ Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Al,

Thanks for the insight Al. What kind of antenna are you using for 2M and 440? Is this a directional antenna or a dual band vertical?

Joe
Well you had me scrambling to see if I could find the assembly instructions for the beam but I can't, but I think its about a 10 or 11 element 2 meter 430 combo. I think it may be like 5 elements on 2 meters and maybe 4 on 430.
Not very much gain on either but works better on 2 meters. Strangely enough there is a 2 meter 440 vertical on top of the tower that was used when I had a separate 2 meter 430 FM radio. I sold all the FM gear because the FT957-D does all that and I never did much with the FM repeaters. At one time there was a ham who lived across the street from K1WJL and he had a 440 repeater at his house that I used to use. Had fair coverage being up on "Dave's hill". 440 repeaters never had much popularity locally here.

Al
(12-19-2014, 12:34 PM)KC1BAQ Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Jim. I've never used a Yaesu 857D, but it looks like a lot of radio in a little package. Do any of our members have experience with these?

Here's a video review of the radio:
http://youtu.be/5sFBEjxi6zA

I might have to put this on my wishlistSmile

Joe

The Yaesu FT 857D is the one I use for 6, 2 and 420. Nice little radio, 100 watts on 6, 50 watts on 2 meters and 20 on 430. It interfaces easily with N1MM with the CT-62 cable. You can probably pick one up at Lentini's or order one from HRO. West Mountain Radio also has them, that's where I got mine when I brought the RIGblaster Plus for digital. That little RIGblaster Plus is great as it will do all the digital modes your software does and even has a CW output jack so all you need is jumper cable to the CW key. If you start with one of those then you got all the exciters you need for any 2 meter or 430 amps you have. (Getting a little ahead of things here.)

If you have a paddle for CW its got a built in keyer or you can interface it to the computer for CW with N1MM. There is some CW used in the VHF contests.

Al
So I've heard from one other Club Member as being interested in this Contest as a Club Station Activity, Joe KC1BAQ.

Anyone else?
Pages: 1 2