Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centennial QSO Party
On the air the past few days with the QSO party and ran into Gary Powell, an ex-MARC member. Chatting he stated he was a member of the MARC when he lived in CT back in the 80's. Mentioned N1API and K1VDF. Gary's call is now N4DL but back then it was KB1IZ.

Steve - KC1AXJ
73, Steve - KC1SA
Centennial QSO Party to end 12/31/2014

From our Section Manager, Betsy @ ARRL:

Section Leadership:
Section Manager (SM) Betsey, K1EIC
Assistants (ASMs): Emeritus Al, W1FXQ; Jim, KD1YV; Larry, K1HEJ Official Observer Coordinator (OOC) Chuck, K1DFS Public Information Coordinator (PIC) Dana, KA1WPM Section Emergency Coordinator (SEC) Wayne, N1CLV Assistants (ASECs): Rod, N1FNE; Brian, K1BRF; Art, AF1HS; Ron, K1VSC; Bill, W1GTT State Government Liaison (SGL)Jon, WF1H Section Traffic Manager (STM) Anne, K1STM Technical Coordinator (TC) Steve W1SMS

Happy New Year! On behalf of the Section cabinet, I wish you a happy, healthy and safe New Year with everything good during the year. I wonder how many of you will operate Straight Key Night? I’m sure my twin Barb K1EIR will make a few contacts with her new Begali key she got at the Convention this summer. Yes, I2RTF was there! Straight Key Night is a tradition on New Year’s Eve—ops call CQ SKN on CW and have some fun with their older keys.

The end of the year, New Year’s Eve day is significant this year.
Here’s some info from Steve Ewald WV1X Supervisor, Field Organization Team. “As a reminder, the final “Red Badges on the Air Day” is all day – UTC time – on New Year’s Eve. That’s tomorrow, December 31, 2014, from 0000 to 2359 UTC.

This operating event also coincides with the final day of ARRL's Centennial QSO Party (that is also coming to an end on December 31 at
2359 UTC).

Please check this article on the ARRL Web page for additional
information:
http://www.arrl.org/news/final-red-badge...year-s-eve.

Happy New Year!”

I feel the need to say just one thing before I continue with the news.
It is really fun to work with you; you are engaged and responsive. When I write you to ask for info quickly because of some deadline or other constraint, you’re right there to give me the info I need. Thanks a lot—we’re a team!—K1EIC

Our deepest sympathy to Mike K1DM whose wife Linda passed away this week. A memorial service is being planned at the Coastguard Academy.
You can write Mike email momndocmck@gmail.com.

Congratulations to Emeritus Assistant Section Manager Al Cohen W1FXQ and his wife Myra. Myra has served as a councilwoman in Newington since 1991. Town officials are naming a roadway in recognition of her outstanding service. The roadway leads to the Fenn Road station of the Fastrak high-speed busway. The Myra Cohen Way will be opened next March. You can write to Al--w1fxq@arrl.net. Remember, these jobs always involve family encouragement and assistance so congrats to Myra and Al!

Here’s a note from our SEC Wayne, N1CLV. “There are lots of shiny new DMR (digital mobile radios) radios around the Connecticut Section, with many more new ones hoped for soon!

The proper programming of these complex digital radios is a lot more challenging than your typical amateur analog radio. They have many more parameters that have to be set accurately so the radios function correctly on the network. The learning curve is a little steep — so we are going to provide some help with that! The CT-ARES DMR Advisory Group will be hosting a DMR Programming Workshop on Thursday evening,
15 January 2015, from 1900-2200, at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) Headquarters, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT 06457. [Note: NO weapons (including knives) are permitted in the building.]

This will be a HANDS-ON workshop. You will need to bring your radio (any make/model — Connect Systems CS700, MOTOTRBO XPR 7550, etc), your programming cable, and a laptop with the programming software and cable driver installed. If your radio is a portable, be sure the battery is fully charged and/or bring a spare. If it is a mobile, you’ll need to bring a 12 VDC power source and maybe an extension cord.

We hope this will be the first of what is likely to become several workshops covering this new-to- amateur-radio mode.

If you can come to the workshop, please email n1clv@arrl.net.

Reminder: At this point a lot of folks are sharing codeplugs (the radio’s programming data file). That is OK and is one way to quickly get on the air without having to learn ALL the programming details.
However, if you are sharing your codeplug, please be sure to replace your name/call with something like NOCALL and enter 1234 for the DMR ID and save it before sharing the file. That way we can spot any issues using online monitoring and get them corrected. If someone loads your codeplug that still contains your name and ID, he/she will appear to the network to be you. And if you try to use the network at the same time, you will be blocked!

Thanx & 73, Wayne N1CLV”.

DEC Douglas WA1SFH is offering a workshop entitled Nets and Messages
101 on Saturday, January 3 8:30 a.m. at the Guilford Fire Dept., 390 Church Rd. Guilford, CT (I-95, Exit 58). The topic for February 7 will be RMS Express 101 An Introduction. You’ll learn more about RMS Express in March! So come on out and take advantage of these training opportunities.

You won’t want to miss the article about ARRL and Hiram Percy Maxim in last Friday’s Hartford Courant http://www.courant.com/courant-250/momen...story.html.
This 100th anniversary year has surely been a special one for all of us in Amateur radio and especially here in CT.

Kevin KA6PDG reported on the Christmas Eve Net that has come to be a tradition on the RASON repeater. “On December 24 at 2200 hours local time the Radio Amateur Society of Norwich played host to the annual Christmas Eve Net. This upbeat, rather informal event took place on the N1NW repeaters as well as on Echo-Link. Net control was Kevin, KA6PDG in Norwich. Including one 3d party family member and the NCS there were twenty-four check-ins.

We started having the Christmas Eve net in affiliation with the “TIPS Net”, (“Training Information and Public Service Net”, back around the turn of the century. The idea of a casual holiday gathering of hams to share greetings of the season was fashioned after a similar net on the Evergreen link system out west. It has become a special on-air event that many look forward to. While some operators were having trouble getting in on Echo-Link early on, stations from as far away as Texas, Washington and Saskatchewan participated and shared holiday well wishes with fellow hams.” Thanks Kevin for keeping up this wonderful tradition. I’ll try to announce this earlier for next year so more of us will check in—it will be fun!

Here’s something else that occurred on Christmas Eve—thanks to Tim W1GIG for reporting this. There was a transmission with the Alexanderson 200 kW alternator on VLF 17.2 kHz from Grimeton Radio station call sign SAQ on Christmas Eve.

The message transmission took place at 08:00 UTC. There was activity on amateur radio frequencies with the call SK6SAQ on 3.755 MHz SSB,
7.035 mHz CW, 14.215 MHz SSB, and 14.035 CW. QSL-reports of SK6SAQ can be sent to QSL reports on SK6SAQ can be sent via the SM Bureau or direct to Grimeton Radio info@alexander.n.se.

Here is an exerpt from
http://alexander.n.se/in-english/saq-transmission/: “Grimeton Radio Station was listed as a world heritage site because its original equipment is an exceptionally well-preserved example of the development of communication technology. In fact, it is still in working order.
Grimeton (call sign SAQ) still transmits a message to the world twice a
year: at the Alexanderson Day (Sunday at the end of June/beginning of
July) and at Christmas Eve.”

And so our holidays, Christmas and Hanukkah are universal, aren’t they. I always particularly enjoyed Amateur radio’s ability to bring that universality to our homes in a special way.--K1EIC

Enjoy the New Year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ARRL Connecticut Section
Section Manager: Betsey M Doane, K1EIC
k1eic@arrl.org
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

Spotted that too... Red badges should stoke the points further. I hope the ARRL does another year long event like this one in 2015.
73, Steve - KC1SA